BUG report - special characters in page names

NimrodYanai
NimrodYanai

When creating a wiki/character page that has a title with special characters, you can't use the link buttons, and have to use a url instead.

I tried replacing the characters in the link with URL and HTML encoded versions, but that doesn't work either.

So far I know of two characters causing this problem:& and '

but my guess is there are others as well.

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Thanks for pointing this out!

The special characters should only be a problem in Wiki Pages.  The Character (and Item) Links use a different format.  Are you seeing an issue in Character Links?

The creation of the Wiki Page allows any character to be used in the Name, but as you noted, the Wiki Link button, or more specifically the "[[ ]]" link format doesn't handle all special characters.  Currently it  only handles: _()-!@,'"~&

I just added the "&", so that should work for you now.  If anyone reading this runs across other special characters that you'd like to be able to use, feel free to request them, and I'll add them.  I think the only ones we'd have issues adding would be the ":" (because I think it would conflict with the Character Link format) and the "|" (because that would conflict with the "|" delimiter between the link text and the page name).

The apostrophe (') should already have been working.  Can you point me to the url of the page that you were trying to link to?  I know I've run into situations where there are different apostrophes with different character codes that can sometimes get slipped in via cut/paste between different text editors.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• NimrodYanai
    NimrodYanai

The page I tried linking is: https://baldursgate-9.obsidianportal.com/wikis/water-queen-s-house-the

As you can see, if I just use the automated function, this is the result:image

Thanks!

• thaen
    thaen

Yeah, it's that "different apostrophes" thing.  The title of that page is using "  ’  ", but the standard keyboard typed one would be "  '  ".  One is more curved than the other, and is actually a different character.  I'll add the more curved one to the handled characters later tonight.

• thaen
    thaen

Try Editing and then Saving that page again with the inserted Wiki Page link.  It should work now.

• NimrodYanai
    NimrodYanai

Works now.

Thanks!

• Abersade
    Abersade

If anyone is curious regarding a full list of what works and what doesn't I have one here: https://abersade-testbed.obsidianportal.com/wikis/special-characters-in-wiki-links

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Btw @Abersade that is a great help site you have made!

Just trying to help out.