Why would A Prince that could 1 day be A King become both A Thief and A Adventurer?

jmisthe08

As I've got bored of Traveller when Carona's over me and my group are going to do A Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Campaign, we're planning to do 1st edition, we're looking forward to it and my friends have even generated their characters, but theirs a problem and its A Big 1

1 of The Players generated A Thief, but that's not the problem, the problem is that she rolled on The Tables for Social Class and she rolled A 100 then A 34, which means that her Male Thief 

1 of The Players generated A Thief, but that's not the problem, the problem is that she rolled on The Tables for Social Class and she rolled A 100 then A 38, which means that her Male Thief is of Royal Blood

1 of The Players generated A Thief, but that's not the problem, the problem is that she rolled on The Tables for Social Class and she rolled A 100 then A 38, which means that her Male Thief is of Royal Blood

He's his fathers 4th Child, but with his fathers 3rd Child being A Girl he's The 3rd in line to The Throne of A Country that is very large, very powerful, very respected and very influential

So what I want to know is why would A Prince that could 1 day be A King become both A Thief and A Adventurer?. I don't have a clue. Any ideas?Also sorry about the fact that I initially posted incorrect information

Post edited by jmisthe08 on

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

That sounds like a pretty standard trope of "royal/privileged person gets bored of safe/pampered life and seeks adventure/excitement".  I'm thinking of the Disney Aladdin movie where Princess Jasmine leaves the palace to escape the oppression of being told how to act and be all the time.

Alternatively, there might be the idea of "if I use my name/blood as a crutch, how will I know I can make it on my own?"  This might be like a trust fund kid renouncing their claim to the trust fund to see what they can do without people being influenced by their money/name.

Alternatively from that, there might be a great sadness or shame associated with being the King's son (he a cruel or insane king), or maybe the character doubts his ability to be a good king.  That's not exactly what happened with Aragorn, but that's an example of a character that has royal lineage, but hasn't taken it up because he's afraid of failing his bloodline.

It could also be that the prince was exiled by the King for doing something the King didn't like.

Or that the prince doesn't know he's a prince and was switched at birth.

Or that some part of the rules of the kingdom decree that the Prince must forge his own path before being able to ascend the throne.  Saying he is a Prince of the Blood alone is not enough.  He must prove his blood is worthy and that the gods favor him.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• ragnarhawk

You could also go with a "story of Joseph" idea...  His father seemed to treat him better than his older brothers.  They got jealous and beat him up and sold him into slavers headed for a distant country.  He learned his Thieving skills as a slave, getting what he could for himself and eventually escaping

• thaen
    thaen

@ragnarhawk, nice!!

Obsidian Portal Developer