Turning Calendar Notifications Completely OFf

Dungeon_Master_Loki
Dungeon_Master_Loki

If I'm being dense and missing a radio button or something please point me in the right direction. I want to be able to add events to the calendar without sending ANY notifictions to the players, but cannot seem to turn off the one sent out at event creation. 

Help me OP-wan, you're my only hope.

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Definitely not dense ... it's hard coded to send out the notification as soon as the event is created.

What's the scenario where you want to add an event, but not send a notification?  That will help with figuring out a good solution.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

I could see myself using this to put my game times in the calender if it can synch with my google calender (or any calender) and it is just there rather than email all my players. 

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

• thaen
    thaen

@Frak_Lou_Elmo, do you do that now?  Or do you currently explicitly not do that because it would send a bunch of emails?

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

I don't do it because I do not know if my players want to get another layer of admin in their social lives. I am going to do a test of creating a calender event and ask them now, see what they think ans see if they mind the email. 

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

This calender feature looks quite nice, but I have come across a problem. I added an event for my Gaxim Plague game on the 17th, and subscribed in google calender to the URL. The google took the URL well enough to automatically name it Gaxim Plague, however the even does not show on the 17th:

could i be doing something wrong, or is there like a synch delay or something?

Cheers,

Frak

• thaen
    thaen

The Google Calendar feature works by subscribing your Google Calendar to the OP Calendar.  This means that Google Calendar is in charge of how often it decides to check the OP Calendar, and then update itself with the events found there.  My understanding is that Google does this about once a day.  If that's all correct, then the event you created will probably be showing in your Google Calendar within 24 hours.  Is it there?

So it's not a great workflow/experience, since there is a lag between making a change on the OP Calendar and seeing the change show up in the Google Calendar, but since the control is on Google's side, we can't force the update from the OP side.

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

it shows now. :) unfortunely the awesome visual and links to the wikki that can be put in on the OP side show like pants on the google side:image

I guess google doesn't know how to read code :D 

I guess next time I'll start the discription with a link to the calende so it can be followed (assuming google will let me click said link?)

i have yet to recieve feedback from my players on the email or otehr insights into the calender. Just our of curiosity, do you guys have stats on how many percent of active campaigns use the calender?

• thaen
    thaen

"show like pants" - I had to look this up ... so cool to learn a new phrase!

Thanks for the screenshot!  That actually probably means that OP is passing Google the wrong data ... the non-processed version instead of the processed version.  I'll look into it.

I looked a while back and only 5% of active Campaigns had a Calendar Event scheduled in the future, so it's not a very actively used feature.

• weasel0
    weasel0

The question being, because no one wants to or few need to. I used it for mine when it was an active game but I also used the most basic function of date/time with scheduled reminders. Nothing fancy. 

• ragnarhawk

I can say that I do use the Calendar feature, but weeks can pass after a game session before we figure out when the next one is

• thaen
    thaen

@Frak_Lou_Elmo, you may need to delete your "subscribed" Calendar, and then "resubscribe", but it should work better now.  Google strips out most of the html, but they leave in the links if there are any, so you can click on them and be taken to your Campaign. Let me know if you see any issues.

Post edited by thaen on

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

it works! except the picture is not showing. not sure if I did it wrong gor this is the html you mention google stripping

Post edited by Frak_Lou_Elmo on

• thaen
    thaen

@Frak_Lou_Elmo, dang.  Yeah that's related to the html modifications that google is doing.  If you look at the url for the image (inspect), google has added a prefix to the "src".  They've actually done it on the "hrefs" on the other links too ... if you click them, they will open a page that says something like "Redirecting you to ...", so they aren't "direct" links.  So I guess, if you want to use this, don't embed images, instead you can link to them.

• thaen
    thaen

@DungeonMasterLoki, I want to make sure we don't hijack your thread and not get your question/issue handled.

What's the scenario where you want to add an event, but not send a notification?  That will help with figuring out a good solution.

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Okay, so I have several campaigns set up individually on OP. One of them is the central hub for all of them as they are interlocking games. If I add all the games to the main hub's calendar it would normally be an additional round of invites that are just clutter. 

I want this so that each campaign has it's own events, but there is a master that players can refer to on the hub showing all games. This would be endlessly helpful when planning crossover adventures where characters from the different games team up. 

Hope that made sense. Long week, quite tired. 

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

• thaen
    thaen

@DungeonMasterLoki, that makes total sense.

I think we can just add a new checked by default checkbox that shows on the "New Event" screen similar to the one on the "Edit Event" screen that says "Send an update notification to everyone?".

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Radio buttons for "Send to All" and "Send to None" would be deeply appreciated! 

• thaen
    thaen

@DungeonMasterLoki, check out the "New Calendar Event" page.  You should see a default checked checkbox that says "Send a new event notification to everyone?".  Uncheck that, and no one will get emailed about your new Event when you click Create.

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Sweet! going to go test it out now! 

• thaen
    thaen

Huzzah!!

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Loving this so much I spent over an hour plugging basics into the calendars. Thank you VERY much! 

• thaen
    thaen

Happy to!  Glad you're enjoying!

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

It is amazing how much difference this has made for organizing my games! The things one simple radio button can achieve!