API Updates

jodie
jodie

been wanting to play with the api for a while, but not had a project in mind. A friend who likes to put a lot of system and setting wiki info in was bemoaning the fact that he can't clone campaigns. So I thought a tool for cloning wiki pages between campaigns would be a cute first project. ALAS the api docs say that the api is currently unusable.

Any news or workarounds or even areas an unreliable software dev could pitch in here and there to expedite the process? 

Comments

• jodie
    jodie

You could just generate an api key in the settings page near the css for each campaign, and cycle it each month/fortnight. It's lazy but it would be a good stopgap.

• Kallak
    Kallak

I wish I could do it for you. Sadly, that's a bit above my pay grade.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • jodie
    jodie

Is there a volunteer dev community? I know there used to be a write an api wrapper invitation. 

• thaen
    thaen

Definitely appreciate the offer, but the dev environment is not a simple setup, so it's non-trivial to get a volunteer dev up and running.  We're currently "paying down some technical debt", which is why the broken API isn't getting any love right now.  So no promises about when the API will be fixed, but it's on the list.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• jodie
    jodie

That's very fair, thanks for the reply. Good luck in wrangling the errant lines.

• Synapscape
    Synapscape

Is there any update on the API?

• thaen
    thaen

@Synascape, no updates yet.  Is there something specific you're wanting to use the API for?

• Synapscape
    Synapscape

Yes, I've built a combat tracker for Conan 2d20 with Angular and Firebase and it would be super convenient to get the data out of the DST into this tracker via API. 

• thaen
    thaen

Cool!  If you're just going for the data, and it's not a private Campaign, or a GM Only Character, I think the data for the DST is in the page and can be "scraped" directly.  View Source on the Character and search for "dynamic_sheet_attrs".

• siebgamer
    siebgamer

I would like to write a FoundryVTT module to pull data from Obsidian Portal. There is a similar module for Kanka.io, I just don't like Kanka as much as OP. I'm just missing an API.  :(

I'm a full stack engineer with 30 years experience; can I apply for the unpaid position of API fixer-upper?

• thaen
    thaen

@siebgamer, that is super tempting.  We're going to discuss on the next dev call and see if that might make sense at this point or not.