Campaign Member Specific CSS

thaen
thaen
edited June 2020 in Campaign Portal Building

We just pushed a very small update to the system.  For Ascendant Campaigns, the body tag of the Campaign pages has a new class that is specific to each member of the Campaign.  The format is "campaign-member-[login]", so when I'm looking at a page the class is "campaign-member-thaen", and when Kallak is looking, the class is "campaign-member-kallak".  (The "login" part of the class is always all lower case.)

This means that if a GM wants to add some styling for just one specific Player, that can now be done.  For example, maybe the GM wants to highlight or bold a specific part of a wiki page so it stands out for a specific Player, or the GM wants to have some text show inline in the wiki page only for that Player.  (Note, this is only CSS, so if your other Players are savvy enough to check the Page Source, they could still see that text...but they'd have to know to look for it.) 

I'm sure our CSS junkies will think of some much more creative ways to use this new feature.  Feel free to post them if any come to mind!

Post edited by thaen on

Obsidian Portal Developer

Comments

• cgregory
    cgregory

This is great.  I will definitely be using this.

I can definitely see using this in a upcoming campaign where some characters lose sanity. Changing posts so that characters who are not viewing the world the same as other characters could be interesting.

I'm guessing that this applies to the adventure logs as well as the wiki pages?  I can see using it for some posts where some characters have a specific sense that other characters do not have, such as darkvision, enhanced smells, ancestoral memories, or telepathy.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• RigilKent
    RigilKent

Neat! Looking forward to messing with this...

Current Campaign - Traveller: The Verge - Campaign of the Month July 2020.

• Kallak
    Kallak

@cgregory, pairing this with a sanity mechanic would be AMAZING! Awesome idea.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • thaen
    thaen

@cgregory, yep, wiki pages, adventure logs, any part of the campaign actually.  Anything that you can affect with your Campaign's Custom CSS will have these classes so you can affect just a specific Player or Players.

• ragnarhawk

Unless I am mistaken, this could also be used for subordinate GMs in a shared campaign...  Anything that is GM-only could be restricted to a single user, and player secrets could be used to manage secrets for the other GMs.

Am I correct?

• thaen
    thaen

Yeah, this could work for that.  Note though that hiding things with CSS is not "secure".  The Co-GMs could still see things that were hidden with CSS if they have a little bit of technical knowledge.

• ragnarhawk

Right, I was more thinking that it prevents accidental discoveries

• thaen
    thaen

Yes, it would work excellently for that.

• ragnarhawk

I am wondering if this can be used to make the content of pages in an otherwise public campaign hidden except for campaign members...  I am specifically thinking of sharing some rules in a public campaign, but I know that the publisher would prefer that those rules remain private to players...

• thaen
    thaen

@ragnarhawk, that should work, but you could also just stick that data in a Player Secret on that page that was able to be seen by all of the Players.

• ragnarhawk

Yes, but the Player Secret access would need to be updated each time that we added a player, where if I use the "campaign-member" class, it would automatically handle players.

I am thinking of having a div that says "Restricted To Campaign Members" which gets covered by the content.  As mentioned earlier, the content is technically still there, but it would take some digging by a casual viewer to get it...

I need to think about it.  Player Secret is certainly more secure

• thaen
    thaen

Great point about not having to make any changes for added Players.

• jodie
    jodie

this is so cool

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Wow @ragnarhawk  that is looking great!  Let us know when you have the wiki going and some adventure logs- definitely a campaign of the month base....

Just trying to help out.