Categorize Charactes/NPCs?

SublimeBW
SublimeBW

Hey gang,

I have been out of the CSS formatting game for my Obsidian portal page and so my knowledge slipped away. I am wanting to create subgroups of characters based on tags and wasn't sure how to go about doing this.

I have a lot of cluttered characters from former storyarcs that are worth keeping around but I want to shift to not be in the primary mix as they may or may not be coming back.

Thanks for any info you can offer!

Link to my character page for reference

https://greyhawk-21.obsidianportal.com/characters

Comments

• gastoff
    gastoff

I don't think there is a way to group character or NPCs based on tags, but you CAN add leading spaces of varying lengths that will group them based on the number of spaces. You could add one space before all City Watch characters, two spaces for Wizards Guild, etc. All 1-space characters will be grouped together, then alphabetized, 2-space next, etc.

The leading spaces are ignored when displaying, but are taken into account when alphabetizing.

• SublimeBW
    SublimeBW

Really? That makes me a sad panda. I was hoping to have some nice banners explaining each subgroup.

• Kallak
    Kallak

I'm with you on being a sad panda for this not being available. The filters sort of serve the same purpose, but doesn't make for a great visual representation. You could potentially hack it with grouping by naming convention and then using content adds to put in the banners. I did something similar on one of my campaigns (though it was only at the list beginnings, it wasn't in the middle - though I assume the same basics could be applied).

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

You could also make your character page a wiki page- that is what we did in Rebuilt

https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com/wikis/performers

Just trying to help out.

• thaen
    thaen

To riff off of what GamingMegaverse said, you could then take that wiki page, and use the new Custom Navigation and replace the url to the Characters page with your new wiki page.  Then put a link to the "full Characters page" at the bottom of your wiki page, if you still want to provide direct access to that.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• SublimeBW
    SublimeBW

Great! I will take a look this weekend and see what I can figure out! Thanks for the ideas gents!