Custom Calendar

NimrodYanai
NimrodYanai

We should have the option to have a custom calendar, in which we can decide the current year, the number of months and days in a month and year, etc.

That way, we can have an in-game calendar where we can mark important events, holidays, etc.

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Thanks for posting this request!

This seems like it could be done with just text on a wiki page.  How would you want this feature to be different from just text on a wiki page?

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

I love this idea. I think I was lobbying for this about 12 years ago before the Reforge. IMHO the functionality seen here would be wonderful if it were intergrated into OP, it's the tool I've been using. There are a lot of time travel elements to the new campaign so it would truly be a boon. 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• thaen
    thaen

@DungeonMasterLoki, what would integrating that into OP look like?  You can put a link to it in the wiki pages.  Are you just wanting it to display in the page?

• NimrodYanai
    NimrodYanai

Well, the way I see it, we will first need a builder -  years (numbers and letters designation), number of months in the year, number of days in a month (allow either default for standard months or custom for months with a different number of days), as well as fields for the names of each year/month/day.

then, we need the functionality to link adventure logs to specific dates in the calendars (for example a start and end date for each log).

we need a way to link wiki pages to the calendar for different occasions (annually,monthly, one time) so that once linked, it will appear automatically as designated.

I would even consider having a "multicalendar" calendar, for worlds with multiple calendars. Even Forgotten Realms for example has several calendars, so you can have your calendar show the date for different ones (like we have calendars showing Christian/Jewish/Islamic dates together).

I think the most important functionality is the automatic roll of the calendar (holidays, etc) and integration with the adventure log.

• thaen
    thaen

Thanks for the clarification!

To build that kind of functionality into the current system would be a fair bit of work, so we would need a fair bit of support from the community saying that they wanted this feature before we could put dev time into it.  (So if you're a community member reading this and you want this feature, above and beyond other features, leave a comment saying so.)

In the mean time, I took a look at the fantasy-calendar.com tool that DungeonMasterLoki linked to.  Other than being able to link the dates directly to Adventure Logs, on a quick glance, it seemed like that covered the features you were wanting.  I didn't play around with the Events tab, but that seems like it might include holidays. 

As far as linking the dates directly, you could just put the dates that a particular Adventure Log covers at the top of the Adventure Log, or skip the "official" Adventure Log and create wiki pages instead with titles that include the "in campaign" dates.

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Glad the link helped a bit. Like I said, this is a low priority nicety having full integration. In the meantime using the already established external tol is fine with me. In my case it is not so much being able to attach a log to a date as it is a matter of using it to keep track of time on the fly during games. I run multiple concurrent campaigns with time and dimensional travel being a major element. For me being able to build multiple calendars for the different worlds is a much higher priority than for many other DMs. 

The Fantasy Calendar does allow for holidays, leap years, solistes/equinoxes, and can even generate weather. I highly advise it to my other DMs. 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• NimrodYanai
    NimrodYanai

I like that tool, but if it's not built in, we can't connect things to and from it.

It should be a built in tool. Even if you can use an API to import existing calendars from tools like that one, we need to have it inside the website.

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

It's interesting, and I might use it if there were a built-in calendar like this, but I agree that this should be a low-priority item.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• nuadaria
    nuadaria

From my perspective I'd like to be able to embed (I know that's problematic) a published Google sheet in which I have made my own calendar. Presently I link to one and that's fine but any time I send my players out of OP I know things are less than best case from a UX perspective. Also I have a self declared caveman in my group who can barely handle webpage navigation to begin with.

If there was an option to override the calendar page with a place to put a URL that would be super groovy!

As a frame of reference, this is the calendar I have surfaced for my players.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSmaZ1NTb5x9CbPxABegiexEK3PECcUKjDp4MzdfWkPVThoxEL4-3ZX00iEQfIO85ZqIW8EOgG_SJ-6/pubhtml

• thaen
    thaen

I don't have a good option for you to embed the Google Sheet live.  But you could always screenshot it, and then upload the image to the page.  The downside being that you now have a two step process (update Google Sheet, then update the screenshot) as opposed to the current one step process (just update the Google Sheet).

For the override the calendar page, we DO have a new option for that.  It's called Custom Navigation and here's the help article for it:

https://obsidianportal.helpscoutdocs.com/article/186-customizing-the-campaign-navigation

For what you want to do, you would just use the "Insert Sample" button to get an exact copy of the current/default navigation, and then just change the URL for both "calendar" pieces.  ("Both" because there's one for the "public" navigation, and one for the "backend" navigation.)

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

• nuadaria
    nuadaria

Thanks Thaen, I had totally missed that until literally moments after I opened my gob and started squawking. I have indeed overridden that as well as added some custom elements like a Google doc my players use to live collab on notes and the spreadsheet we use for wishlists (hold over from the before times).

https://haas.obsidianportal.com/

Is coming along nicely now. Just in time to swap to this from our now completed campaign this Thursday!

• thaen
    thaen

@nuadaria, wow, that's looking nice! 

"HaaS" - Ha!  That's awesome.

• nuadaria
    nuadaria

Thanks. The name is likely to change as I'll let the players name their group at some point after we get going, but several of the folks in this group are developers for a SaaS/PaaS architecture and so it seemed to make sense.

• gastoff
    gastoff

@nuadaria I like the animated background and the 8-bit feel to the campaign!

@thaen Can Google sheets be embedded using the same method used to embed the PDF links, or is that something that only works for PDFs?

Post edited by gastoff on

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

I really hope you keep the name @nuadaria

It is awesome!

Just trying to help out.

• nuadaria
    nuadaria

@GamingMegaverse I like it as do several players, like I mentioned it fits us as players fairly well.

• Jynx001
    Jynx001

Red Wizard Shot a Food!

I want this guy's hat IRL. Also, his magic powers, but I'll settle for the hat.

• gastoff
    gastoff

@Jynx001 Even though it is 8-bit and hard to tell, that style hat is most likely a wide-brimmed fedora or possibly a slouch hat (sans chin strap). Most fedoras have a stiff brim with minimal curvature, but they can be made of soft felt or leather so they can be shaped. The hat worn by Hugh Jackman in Van Helsing was a highly customized fedora with a wider brim and higher crown.

You could also get a cork aussie hat, remove the chin strap and corks, and it should be close...but finding one in red is a long shot. Bleach and dye? 

• Jynx001
    Jynx001

Nice! I know someone who makes ladies hats - I'll ask her for her material source.

• thaen
    thaen

@nuadaria, for embedding the Google Sheet live, @gastoff had a great idea to try the method that we use with PDFs.  It turns out with a little bit of hoop jumping it will work!

First you do "Publish to the web" as per this (expand the "Embed a document, spreadsheet, or presentation" section)

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/183965#embed_files

From there, grab the "Link" version of the url, and use it in this HTML on your page:

<div class='oembed'><a href='link-url-goes-here'></a></div>

Also click on the "Published content & settings" to turn on "Automatically republish when changes are made"...assuming you want that.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you.  I tested it out with a super simple Google Doc in my test campaign and it seemed to work well.

Post edited by thaen on

• nuadaria
    nuadaria

That appears to work assuming I use the publish as PDF option which seems like it will take perhaps a bit of fiddling with on my end to make exactly how I want, but this is a solid start. My cave people players thank you!

• thaen
    thaen

Ah...I tried a Google "Document", not a Google "Spreadsheet".  For the "Document" it just shows up as the document and you don't have to choose "PDF".  Well, in any case, I'm glad it's a path forward for you!

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Count me in on wanting this fucnctionality. The phases of the moon for my campaign will be important, and have been in past campaigns. Players want to know what the date is for the game, be it a Dresden Campaign Julian Calendar or a Forgotten Realms Harptos based calendar. The ability to actually have a use for the Calendar on the site, as my group meets every Saturday at the same time, and has done so for many, MANY years, so no need to schedule sessions, would be really nice to have