Children of Gotham is back!

tommy19
tommy19

In 2017 I created a FATE campaign that I ran in person for several months. I spent a good deal of time bugging some of the big names on the forum for their help getting the CSS setup and getting the site looking exactly the way I wanted it to look. Unfortunately due to real life issues (and one of our players moving 2000+ miles away) the game went on permanent hiatus as of the 2017 holiday season.

In the interim I never stopped working on the world or the OP page. It's made some drastic changes over the last three years, hopefully for the better, and I've added a metric ton of content. It's something I've been able to do during a lack of active rping and something I could do to relax and take my mind off some serious issues I've had in my personal life over the last years.

I did attempt to start a new campaign in the same world, but it didn't hold up, players fell through and we just could not get the scheduling to work out. I had pretty much given up on returning to the streets of Supernatural Gotham city... and then Covid happened and our hobby changed drastically. Everyone moved to playing online, including many of my original players, some of whom were hesitant to try online play before.

So I started advertising on facebook groups, subreddits, and discord servers and got a lot of response. Nearly every single member of the old campaign was interested in playing this new campaign and I had at least another groups worth of people who were also interested. So what did I do? I started running two separate games. One for the original players that picks up pretty much right where we left off and a completely new campaign with mostly completely new players. We've just had our first session of each over the last two weeks and it's worked amazingly well. The feedback from the players has been amazing, I've had an absolute blast, and because we are playing on discord I even have people who are curious but not quite ready to play sitting in on our sessions as Lurkers and they have made the experience all the better with their memes and jokes during our sessions. This aspect alone has made me really understand the draw behind people live-streaming. The immediate feedback and interaction is just awesome and adds a completely new depth to our weekly sessions (rotating out campaigns each week so that each one is technically bi-weekly).

I've made some drastic changes to the site and how I use it. For example I have begun using the Adventure Log section of the site more as a DM/creator blog that I plan to start sharing FATE specific content, which I find there is a lacking of on the web, or at least, lacking in comparison to other popular games like D&D and Pathfinder. I've integrated Google Docs pretty heavily so that I can edit campaign diaries and character information in real time and from my mobile device. Overall I am really happy with the site and it's content, and now that it's active again with not one, but two ongoing campaigns, I wanted to share it with the rest of you.

If you're interested jump over to https://childrenofgotham.obsidianportal.com/ and give us a look. The whole site is public, the Casefiles (adventure logs) are shared Google docs that have commenting turned on, you can become a fan of the page and hopefully see new updates, and if you're interested in sitting in on a session feel free to drop me a line and I'd be happy to invite you to the discord server as a Lurker. Side benefit of being a lurker, they get first dibs at any spots that may open up in current or future campaigns!

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Congrats on getting your games going again!  And the Campaign looks great!

Obsidian Portal Developer

• tommy19
    tommy19

@thaen Thank you

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Welcome back @tommy19   Great looking site!

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

A great looking site (now favorited by me) and what an inspiring story to read on a Sunday morning!  Bravo, tommy19 and team/s!

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member