There is a MASSIVE elephant in the room!

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Hey @twiggyleaf, there's a beta feature called "public forums" that lets the GM choose specific forum threads to make public.  It's sort of tailor made for play by post games.

We're using it here for the Fat Pig campaign:

https://tobuyafatpig.obsidianportal.com/public-forum

Let me know if you want to try it out on your campaign, and I'll add you to the beta.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Thanks @thaen, that's good to know  I'm not sure we want it to be public at this stage.  I'll see how it runs for a bit, and also speak to the others to see how they feel.  If we decide to "GO FOR IT", I will be in touch with you and also look again at the "Fat Pig" example.

I must also really commend your active participation on these "forums", or as is now the preferred nomenclature, within the "community".  (I didn't see anyone commenting on the change to the campaign page links, but I thought it was a good change.)

smileyyesheart

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

@twiggyleaf, sounds great, whatever works for y'all.  No pressure.

I must also really commend your active participation on these "forums", or as is now the preferred nomenclature, within the "community".  (I didn't see anyone commenting on the change to the campaign page links, but I thought it was a good change.)

Thanks for the commendation!

Haha!  I made that change from "Forums" to "Community" to satisfy my need for consistency.  On the Support page, the same link was referred to as "Community", but in the Quick Links and in the Footer it was called "Forums".  And "Community" seemed like a good way to differentiate it from the "Campaign Forums".  So I standardized on "Community" in the site navigation...but feel free to call it whatever you want.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

LOL!  "Community" is great!

smiley

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Attending a few events @GenCon online and 2 games....

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Hey GamingMegaverse, never stop never stopping!

wink

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

The best part of it being online is the influx of people from your region of the world participating- Lots of people from Great Britain and Europe.

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Brilliant!

smiley

Inner Council Member

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Well, we finished off the first mini session of the MYSTERIA Play by Post adventure.  You can find the latest log in "JAILHOUSE ROCK".  It was a good little session but only three of us took part.  We used the "brackets dice bracket ENTER 1d-whatever brackets end-dice brackets" TOOL SYSTEM available for private forums on ASCENDANT sites, and I have to report that it worked out really well.

But the main reason I am including it in this thread was that I was once again reminded how the Covid-19 situation still has its restrictions.  Of the six of us in the group, one was not involved due to needing a break, one not involved due to vision/print/tech details and one not involved due to mental stress related to the Covid-19 situation.  I believe all of these are Covid-19 related, in actual fact.

We are used to playing actual TABLE TOP games at a LOCAL AUTHORITY venue that is currently closed.  I suspect it will be some time before we are permitted to "get back to normal", if that status is even something we can look forward to.  At the moment, we are all adapting, and carrying on as best we can.

I look forward to hearing other views...

Inner Council Member

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

There have been several adaptations to our group (both gaming and lifestyle) since the start of the Covid-19 crisis.  As a tabletop group, playing weekly games in a local authority community centre, all of our normal games have changed and we have had to make many adaptations.  We all decided we would not continue with our three concurrently running campaigns until all members were able to play, so in that time, one of has run a simplified game using skype and a crafty innovation of extra mobile phone on a tripod, and I have run a small section of "MYSTERIA" as a Play by Post game, using the automatic dice rolling feature available on Ascendant Campaign Forums.  

With the local community centre factor that runs many of the centres and facilities reporting closures, it seems we may not get our normal venue back for some time, if even at all.  So, with the gradual easing of lockdown measures in Scotland, our group have arranged a tabletop test game in mid September at the home of one of our members.  We will take all necessary steps to remain as safe as possible, but it will be good to see each other (for real) again.  Even though we have been maintaining weekly meetings on SKYPE, it should be inspirational to have a REAL game again.  I will report in again after this session.

Is anyone else restarting a tabletop game anytime soon?

Inner Council Member

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

My group been back to tabletop for 2 months now I'd say? Maybe more?

• friendlypickle
    friendlypickle

Been using Discord and Roll20 for years, with Obsidian Portal as our 'Home Base' to manage everything.  Works well

• Krothos
    Krothos

My 2 groups have been staying with Roll20, with OP being used to house our campaign information.

We have to stay virtual for the time being as I have players that are considered high risk (i.e. recent heart condition, works in a doctor's office, works for local sheriff, has a new-born). So we're making the best of it though I can't wait to get back to the physical table!

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Looks like our planned Tabletop game later this month has been delayed again due to new Lockdown measures in the Glasgow area of Scotland.  Ah, well, we shall keep on trying to find that time, and continue to have our weekly chat on Skype in the meantime.

Inner Council Member

• Abersade
    Abersade

Both of the groups I'm involved with shut down hard due to having higher risk players/relatives, we only started meeting again this week actually.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

"The horror!  The horror!"

indecision

Inner Council Member

• weasel0
    weasel0

I got to restart a group I'm in about a month ago as the family hosting bought a home and moved off base. 

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

About to start a new bi-weekly game online- that will mean I am back up to 2 games, 1 each week.

I really enjoy the online interaction- keeps people safe and allows the gaming fix to happen.

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Our predominantly Table Top group have been running a couple of concepts.  For several weeks we ran a simplified game on Skype.  We also tried some Play by Post stuff.  Over the last few weeks, we have just been checking in on our usual day for a Skype Dungeons Chat.  With Lockdown measures tightening even more, we are starting to think of a more permanent Online Alternative.  We have decided to try a couple of options before diving in.

Last week we tried Roll20.  A couple of us are vaguely familiar with this system, but it IS a bit clunky.  Next week we will be trying out Fantasy Grounds Unity.  We'll see how it goes.

Inner Council Member

• Demetrios
    Demetrios

Our in-person tabletop sessions were once/twice a month but since COVID-19 we have been playing practically every week using Discord which is quite the change of pace for us. This has definitely accelerated the storyline which I'm happy about as DM. Although we can switch back to in-person tabletop, I haven't done so - enjoying the frequency that online play provides.

I will likely stick to this and only call for in-person play for any sessions that would be best suited for sit down play such as large encounters. I'm completely useless at Roll20 so we predominantly use ToM for encounters.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

What is ToM, @Demetrios ???

Inner Council Member

• DerkG
    DerkG

I have been playing primarily online for at least 5 years now - ever since one of our players moved to a different country and about 2,000km away. We have mostly been using Roll20 + discord (discord for voice, roll20 for visuals, character sheets and die rolls). Mostly theatre of the mind play, so visuals are supporting images etc rather than tactical maps.

We've been tracking campaign journals on OP and on a private mediawiki I set up. 

In parallel I've joined some really fun PbP RPGs on discord, and while that is a very different format it can be loads of fun as well.

GM: https://knights-of-the-realm-1.obsidianportal.com/ - a Greater Pendragon Campaign

GM: https://sagaofthenorth..obsidianportal.com/ - a Dungeon World Campaign

Player/Scribe: https://thepriceofimmortality.obsidianportal.com/ - a Pathfinder Campaign

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Tomorrow night I'm launching my newest campaign on Roll20. We're going old school with the 5E conversion of Rappan Athuk, the megadungeon-crawl from Frog God Games.

And I have eight players.

I'm sure it'll be fiiiiine...

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Go UTM!

smiley

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

8 players?  I have done that occasionally, but not regularly- best of luck @UselessTriviaMan

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Hi All

I just wanted to add to this thread, as it has been a while, and since that time, there have been many changing developments throughout the world, including such news items as confirmation of vaccines, new more virulent strain of Covid-19, increased Christmas LOCKDOWN regulations, and the consequent effects on gaming.

Our group, originally a pure Tabletop group, meeting once a week and on occasional weekends, has suffered immensely.  We haven't gamed "properly" since March 2020.  In the time since our usual venue closed down, we have tried to keep the TEAM alive - we have three or four groups running on Obsidian Portal and over a couple of these, we have tried Play by Post, Fantasy Grounds Unity, and Roll20.  We have also kept a fairly regular online meeting of Skype, if not actually gaming, at least getting together for a weekly chat.  

This has been good, and we have carried this over for the whole year so far, but it has been hard.  Not everyone has attended every week.  Not all have been in the same situation regarding employment, availabilty, mental health, etc.  Like so many others, we have had to adapt sharply.

Some groups on OP (particularly primarily ONLINE groups), may have noticed little difference to their usual acivities.  Some may have had to experience total shifts in method, style, campaign adherence.  Some may have had to experience illness, perhaps even death.  It seems that Christmas will be a most different experience for most of us.  Personally, it will be the MOST isolated Christmas I have ever had in my life.  But I am lucky to be alive, and I hope to remain more or less healthy until I can get the vaccine and my roleplaying friends and I can once again meet, and continue the adventures that we love.

Really, it has been a very serious time.  I almost feel bad stating that my MYSTERIA campaign is still "ACTIVE" even though it is mainly carried on by a couple of adventure logs every couple of months, and a few emails and private messages.  But it is what it is.

SEASON'S GREETINGS to all at Obsidian Portal, and please feel free to add your thoughts and expressions to this thread.

smiley

Post edited by twiggyleaf on

Inner Council Member

• Jynx001
    Jynx001

I second the sentiments of @twiggyleaf and wish everyone good tidings and cheer. Humanity has marked the darkest days of the year for many centuries with festivals of light because that's who we are. I hope you all stay safe and tend your fires well, this holiday season. We won't take for granted friends rolling dice around tables in the years that follow.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

Inner Council Member

• Demetrios
    Demetrios

@twiggyleaf, apologies only replying now, it has been a while since I have been on the forums - I meant TotM (Theatre of the Mind)

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Thanks @Demetrios

smiley

Inner Council Member