Just subscribed

andreconti
andreconti

I am loving Obsidian Portal. The interface just clicked with me and it has been a real helping hand in my campaign.

That being said, and I'm not the first to say this, please implement non-square maps. It took me days to create a beautiful map on Inkarnate and I can't use it! :)

I would also love a way to create categories of characters beyond PC and NPC.

Many thanks!

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Welcome!  Thanks for the requests! 

Non-square Maps

Non-square maps is definitely on the list to do.  The interim "hack" is to open the map in a drawing program and add a solid bar of black/white/color to the bottom (or right side, if it's taller than it is wide) to make it square.  Then save it and upload the now square version.

Character Categories

How would you use the categories beyond PCs and NPCs?

I've seen GMs create wiki pages with lists of PCs/NPCs as "guilds" or "groups".

Another option is to use "tags" and tag all the NPCs/PCs as a particular group/category.  Then you can use the search to find only those Characters.

And lastly, if you just want to have the NPCs sort in groups differently on the Characters page, there's a hack that some GMs use where they put spaces in front of the Character's name.  Characters with no spaces will be grouped together, then 1 space will be grouped, then 2 spaces, etc.  The spaces are ignored by the HTML/display, so no one sees them in the pages (except in the Edit as you would expect), but the spaces are not ignored by the sorting.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• andreconti
    andreconti

Many thanks! I have been using the map hack :) 

As for grouping people, DUH, a wiki index of course! Thanks. I want to sort NPCs by region, some of them by religious and military orders etc. The wiki will do fine.

Again, congratulations. We are coming back to GURPS after some fifteen years, and this is helping a lot.  

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Welcome aboard!

Just trying to help out.

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

Welcome @andreconti! Glad to have you, and always glad to have new input and ideas. Feel free to reach out and post here any time. Excited to see what you create!

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

We are coming back to GURPS after some fifteen years, and this is helping a lot. 

YEAH, GURPS! laugh

And welcome, @andreconti!

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Welcome to Obsidian Portal, @andreconti

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• gastoff
    gastoff

@andreconti ,

As @thaen suggested, using tags is an easy way to filter out characters on the character page, but if you are wanting a clean way to visually group NPCs by region in the wiki pages, I have used CSS to create drop down menus for NPCs and creatures encountered in various regions: https://terroratthrushmoor.obsidianportal.com/wikis/creatures

If this is more along the lines of how you want to group NPCs, feel free to copy the format!