Instructional Videos more prominent

twiggyleaf
twiggyleaf

Hi

I would like the instructional videos to be more prominent.  Not the ones on YouTube.  The original ones that showed how to set up the site with basic textile tools.

These were great when I was starting out and so would be excellent tools for anyone new to the site.  But also for us "Oldtimers" who have not been setting things up recently but can't quite remember how to do some of the old basic things.  I know the old videos dealt mainly with basic Textile rules and had not incorporated any CSS stuff, but they were so good.   I can just never find them now.

Please!

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

I'm not sure if I remember the videos you're talking a out offhand. We're they the ones that Jerry did? If we can't find them, I can make some new ones.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

No, they were from the original site.  Made by Micah, I am sure.  They were on the site years before the ones Jerry made.  They used to be somewhere on the OP Front Page, or maybe even on the Help page.  I seem to remember there also being a direct link in the right hand navigation section.

Inner Council Member

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I think they may have been under the title:  "Video Tutorials".

Inner Council Member

• gastoff
    gastoff

As amazing as the forum is for learning how to use this platform, there are a lot of people out there that are more visual learners and might feel overwhelmed or confused. I'd love to see a revival of a video tutorial section. Especially if it could be a repository for OP community created video tutorials on a variety of topics like:

• Custom CSS, HTML, and Textile tutorials

• Campaign creation tips

• Story writing/Character development

• OP site navigation

In a similar way that DSTs have to be submitted and approved before they go live, OP users could make tutorial videos that are submitted for review. The Devs could set restrictions on video length, video resolution, or any other number of restrictions to ensure only high quality content is produced.

If @Kallak finds the old videos that were made, those could be added to the batch as well.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

All the old ones are still on the vimeo site https://vimeo.com/obsidianportal

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Thanks Mega.  That's good to know.  Those aren't the ones I was talking about but they are still useful.  I think it would be good to have that link easier for us to access ON THE SITE though.

smiley

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

@twiggyleaf, got a suggestion where it should be on the site?

Obsidian Portal Developer

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I would say at least in My Profile/Help tab - maybe top right or high in the list.  I also don't think it would be a bad idea to have a link to Help/Support on the Right Hand Navigation Bar on the front page of every site.  I guess this might upset some creative aesthetecists, but it could be inobtrusive, I think.  

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

Thanks, @twiggyleaf!  Yeah, we could probably create a help article that linked out to all of the videos with some description of what each would explain.

Regarding Front Pages, at the top of the Campaigns, in the navigation bar, we have the "Quick Links" and that has a "Help" link.  So if we had a "video index" help article, we could put it in the "Most Popular Articles" section.

@gastoff, that's a great idea.  If people want to make videos showing how to do things, feel free to email links to them to the [email protected] email address and we'll go from there.  If there's not a huge interest, then we don't need to build a lot of infrastructure to support it and can just do it manually through email.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

@Thaen, I agree, that TAB at the top is a good place.  It links to the same SUPPORT page as the Profile and there is also a HELP page.  I guess I was looking for a central pool of VIDEO TUTORIALS.  Not that I use them often, but I always used to know where to find them in the old days, and when I recently couldn't remember how to do something I hadn't done in a while, I looked to the videos, which I couldn't find.  Thanks for taking an interest in this.  I hope there are others that would also find the videos useful.

Inner Council Member

• Jynx001
    Jynx001

Quest Complete: Video Tutorial Collection

I couldn't find Micah's old Textile training videos, @twiggyleaf - but that doesn't mean they're not out there, floating around. I was looking into The Wayback Machine to try and spot them, but if anybody sees anything or remembers any other details about them, please post and I can keep digging.

Side note: during the investigation, I found out they archived at least some of the old Haste podcast, so we might be able to listen to some of those, too.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Thanks for looking.

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

The Haste podcast was great.... Awesome find.

Just trying to help out.