Can you put tables on character pages? Can you hide character sheets?

PoMoAnachro
PoMoAnachro

Can I put tables on characters' pages? Or make the character sheet GM-only? I'd like to be able to use the GM-only section of my NPCs to track their stats, but without having it just all spewed out in raw text. But it doesn't seem you can use HTML or the like on the character pages?

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

You can definitely have tables on character pages, yes. If you're having issues with HTML, You could build the tables in textile. It's fairly easy to do.

As far as GM-only / hidden stats, this is not available at the present time (stress on that last part. Watch for potential upcoming official announcements in this area).

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • PoMoAnachro
    PoMoAnachro

Thanks - I could have sworn I was using the textile tables correctly before, and it seemed to work on the wiki but not on character pages...but I went back and tried again today and it works fine. I must have been doing something wrong!

• JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

My old campaign used tables for the character sheets. Here is an example:

https://l5r-changing-history.obsidianportal.com/characters/kakita-hikaru

• thaen
    thaen

@PoMoAnachro, check out the new "Private Character?" checkbox on the Character page right under the "Quick Description".  That will hide the stats for the NPC Character, but still have the Players able to see the Character image, and read the Quick Description.  Alternatively, you could also scroll all the way to the bottom and check the "Is this a GM Only Character?" checkbox, which will completely hide the Character from the Players, so they won't be able to see it at all.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Nice addition.  We won't need it for any of our campaigns but I'm sure it will be a boon for many others out there.

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Perfect timing! I'm using right now for incoming PCs! Love the private option! 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• Kallak
    Kallak

@DungeonMasterLoki, as a point of curiosity, because it came up at one point internally: is there a desire for showing any additional info for private characters?

In a nutshell, there was thought that maybe the description should be shown so players or the GM could have additional detail more then what the brief description could hold - but the counter argument was that player secrets would serve that function.

I'd be interested in getting your opinion.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

I like just having the name and subtitle show. If more is needed I'll build it into a wiki page and link to it, give me more control of presentation. I'm not a coder, but I'm also not your typical user.

If you were going to go in that direction I'd suggest adding radio buttons to turn visibility on and off for each section. That would be a solid and functional UI choice IMHO.

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• CaiusMartius
    CaiusMartius

I know this is several months old but it's relevant to my dilemma so I didn't want to start a new thread. 

I would very much like to be able to 'npc' a character by having the Description and Biography sections of the character sheets be shown to the players but NOT the stat blocks and such. For NPCs, especially on going NPCs that will make regular appearances it's nice to just have these. I will often never 'stat' a character because that character is added flavor, even if they become a major supporting character within the story and it's just clunky to have a big empty stat block showing before the players can see the relevant info about the NPC.

So it would be nice if the PRIVATE character button would also show Description and Biography. Secrets should remain GM only as that is where info the players DON'T know can go.

• thaen
    thaen

@CaiusMartius, thanks for the feedback! 

If you are wanting to "stat" the NPC, one way to get around that limitation for now is to put the Description and Biography in a Player Secret, and select all the Players in the Campaign for "Who can see this?".  The "Add Player Secret" button is right under the "GM Only" textbox.

But it sounds like you have a big empty stat block that you don't need because you don't want to "stat" the NPC.  You don't have to choose a Dynamic Sheet Template.  You can leave it on blank, or edit and choose the blank selection in the dropdown, and Save, and the resulting NPC (or PC) will only have the Description and Biography fields showing.  You don't even need to check Private Character at that point.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding something.

Obsidian Portal Developer