Vertical align header text within the header class

gastoff
gastoff

I've added code to adjust the h3 headers so that they are 75px tall and have a background. I figured out how to get the header text to be centered horizontally within the h3 element, but I cannot figure out how to adjust its vertical position:

If I try to use padding or margin, it adds it to the outside of the element, which moves the background and text together. When I try to use "background-position" with a negative vertical offset, it causes the top of the background image to be cut off. Is there a vertical version of "text-indent" that can be used to bump the text down within the header element so that it rests within the scroll body?

Comments

• cgregory
    cgregory

A quick look at your code shows you are using the Strong tag for your titles. This makes it easier.

What you want to do is give those tags a class. Lets call it WikiTitle

<strong class="WikiTitle"><a href="/wikis/history" class="wiki-page-link">History and Lore</a></strong>

<strong class="WikiTitle">Miscellaneous</strong>

That allows use to modify just the text with the class WikiTitle in your css

.WikiTitle {

position: relative;

top: 20px;

}

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• gastoff
    gastoff

Will this affect all the "strong" items across the site? Would this cause anything that is *bold* to be pushed down by 20px?

So do I add the .WikiTitle CSS bit into the Custom CSS area and then I add the HTML stuff in front of the text in the page's edit screen?

• Kallak
    Kallak

No, it wouldn't. It's just adding the class to that particular strong tag.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • cgregory
    cgregory

The reason for adding a class to those particular strong tags is so that the css only gets applied to strongs with that class. Technically, the css as i provided would apply to anything with that WikiTitle class.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016