A Simple Character Sheet For Non-Coders

friendlypickle
friendlypickle

It would be really nice if there were a simple tool where I could choose from 3 or 4 fields, draw them on a blank sheet, put a label on them, repeat the process a few times, and build a character sheet in this manner.  Let me save it, alter it if I need, and make it available to my players.  I don't need pretty colors, fancy fonts, special layouts, just simple.  I can't make heads or tails of the instructions for trying to build one, and these days I can't even find those instructions.  I need a character sheet, but I can't use your tools.  Help?

Comments

• weasel0
    weasel0

Simplest of ways is just using the built in textile.

Using the | straight line as a column line you can make a table pretty quickly. You just have to know some of the tricks to working with textile.

| Headings Here |2nd|3rd|4th|

|Stuff 1|Other|Another|And so on|

The line breaks here are double spaced but it'll work in the campaign. Double line break to end a table like that. Make sure you're using the old editor or this won't work. Otherwise use a spreadsheet program of choice and link a pdf or a picture thereof into the character section.

Ckeditor has a built-in table maker so that could work too...maybe. I never use the ckeditor.

Post edited by weasel0 on
  • weasel0
    weasel0

There's also coding a table by hand in html....by that can get tedious. Though much better granular control. I have a number of characters built with the aforementioned textile format and it works well, it's hard to control table and field sizes though so I do have things that run off the page...well, out of the center column anyway.

I may have to just make a html table but like I said, using the | is pretty quick and easy. It's also dirty.

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Then I must be very much in need of a shower, because I use | a LOT in my campaign. ;-)

Yeah, Textile tables are pretty versatile once you get the hang of them.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• cgregory
    cgregory

These days there are three things that my group does regarding character sheets.

1) Build a simple table/layout. I'll use html or textile depending on the table layout. Like with Shawn

2) I use form fillable pdfs that I upload to the media library. Like with Papa Midnite

3) I use a form fillable pdf/excel file that I take a screen shot of and upload it to the media library. Like with Grace

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Do you have those as shareable links for people to steal @cgregory?  Would make a few people happy I am sure!  (Here is how to do x sheet in code form is what I am requesting)

Thanks!

Just trying to help out.

• weasel0
    weasel0

Here is a super simple sheet I made up for a druid Bison familiar. It renders okay.

Bisoooooon!!!

|Str|22|6|||||||||

|Dex|10|0||Ref|4|4|

|Con|16|3||Fort|7|4|

|Int|04|-3|||||

|Wis|11|0||Will|1|1|

|Cha|04|-3|||||

|||||||||||||||

|||||||||||||||

||HP|00||||||||||||

|||total|||ar|sh|dex|sz|nat|def|misc|||

|||AC|22||10|0|0|0|4|0|0|0||

||Tch|09||||||||||||

||Flat|22||||||||||||

Obviously it doesn't scale well with the movement to phone sized real estate.
    Post edited by weasel0 on
  • cgregory
    cgregory

Hero labs usually creates a decent html output with only minimal changes needed.

Here is a example of one along with the code for it in the bio.

https://dead-men-tell-no-tales.obsidianportal.com/characters/test

If colspan still worked, I could make is look better.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Hey @weasel0, you may already know this but you can use |\14.| instead of ||||||||||||||| and save yourself some headaches.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• weasel0
    weasel0

Well...I did not. That can be handy. Thank you!

• Omegabase
    Omegabase

I've always used the trusty "|", works great.  Organized and easy to read.  No fancy learning required. Somewhere i've got a template but easy enough to make one.

http://arcanearth.obsidianportal.com/characters/finch

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arcanearth

Gammaworld 2754