Limit Non-GM Editing

alipinsk
alipinsk

I just bought ascendant and am highly disappointed there is no option to limit access to editing pages. For me it defeats the purpose of having a forum section. Can this feature please be introduced? I understand that CSS can be edited to do this function but I am not comfortable enough to edit it. 

Comments

• cgregory
    cgregory

The CSS to prevent editing of forums by non GMs is

.icon-edit.edit-post-link {display: none;}

.campaign-game-master .icon-edit.edit-post-link {display: inline-block;}

The first line removes the editing link for everyone.

The second line adds it back for GMs.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

This is a topic that comes up every once in a while. There are a lot of veteran Obsidian Portal users who have been around longer than me, but as someone who's been using this site for years I can attest that players' ability to edit wiki pages isn't a bad thing.

In practice, it's actually really difficult to motivate players to add/edit pages. It's really a non-issue.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton

Going to second TriviaMan on this one. If you have player actively editing and making wiki pages consider yourself blessed. 

If you have a player who is being an a$$ and deleting or putting things in that don't belong then at that point you might want to question allowing the person in your campaign in the first place. 

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

I will have to add in my voice on editing the pages by the players, while running a super hero game my players would add in information for NPCs, even creating NPCs from scratch. So having them able to create a character on their own has actually helped with player buy in.

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• cgregory
    cgregory

His question was about forum post editing not wiki editing. So that is a slightly different beast.

They are among us!

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Oh I get that. My players were surprised that they could edit anything on the site, not just the forum, so I wanted to let him know that it helped with player buy in. Granted, not everyone wants their players editing things on the OP and as was mentioned by JamesBolton, if I had a player deleting things and being a general pain, I'd have to do something about him, but I just wanted to let him know what I understood the thought process was about everyone editing OP.

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• DiceWrangler
    DiceWrangler

If the default is to allow players nearly full access to the campaign site at least support some sort of rollback in case we accidentally invite a saboteur into our game. Without the ability for GMs to add comments to or rate a player's user profile how would a GM know if a prospective player is a serial saboteur? Personally, if a random player intentionally harmed my campaign site I would leave Obsidian Portal altogether since there are no safeguards in-place to prevent it from happening again.

• Kallak
    Kallak

@DiceWrangler,

One of the features of Ascendant membership is revision history. You can view previous versions of each page, compare, and if needed, restore a previous version.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • weasel0
    weasel0

Such a bad player might not be allowed continued access?

• Krothos
    Krothos

I also had the same concern, not so much as a player being malicious but more of a concern where a player navigating the site and saving accidental changes.

As such, I asked a similar question and was provided with the following CSS code to help:

/* remove player's ability to edit wiki pages */
    .campaign-member div.wiki-page-container .icon-edit {display: none;}
    .campaign-game-master div.wiki-page-container .icon-edit {display: inline;}

Add this to your Advanced section of your campaign and it should remove the non-GM players the ability to edit your Wiki pages.

Hope it helps. :)

Post edited by Krothos on
  • weasel0
    weasel0

Well, that was certainly more helpful than my suggestion.

• cgregory
    cgregory

Yes, you can remove the ability for players to edit pretty much anything using the .campaign-member and .campaign-game-master classes. The basic premise to that is to remove access for everyone and then add access back for the GM.

Some of the campaign permission tricks I've listed in the link below.

https://unlockingtheportal.obsidianportal.com/wikis/campaign-permissions-tricks

They are among us!