Featured Campaign of the Month

Comments

• jasonvey
    jasonvey

Hey, everyone, I hope you'll all check out our page again if Obsidian Portal ever fixes media linking, because there's a lot to see that's showing up as stupid white space right now. 

• Jim_Mount
    Jim_Mount

Just a heads up to the community, a winner has been selected and the interview is being worked on. Kallak will announce it as soon as everything is finished. Thanks everyone!

• abu_is_evil
    abu_is_evil

So now that we are already in April, has the campaign of the year been abandoned?

Just trying to help out.

• jasonvey
    jasonvey

And of course, media embeds start working again now ;). 

• Kallak
    Kallak

No, CotY has not been abandoned. I know it's been an insanely long waiting game, and I'm sorry for that. We're more or less set to go at this point, I'll get it situated alongside of April CotM or shortly thereafter, so in the very near future.

Thanks to everyone for their patience on this.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Jim_Mount
    Jim_Mount

Here's my take on CotY -- and I apologize to the committee if this is overstepping myself. I'm speaking now as a nominee and only a nominee.

I don't think it's worth doing.

We can probably assume Kaleidoscope has a mountain of tech issues that take precedence over CotY, and a limited staff to deal with it, and us, in a meaningful way. We also have to admit that right now, there appear to be very few active members in the community. I hope that changes, I really do, but we can count the people who regularly pop in here and post on our fingers and toes.

I'd love to "win," though I'm not sure Serpents is the best campaign. I think can get a lot of my friends to pop in and vote for me. I live in Chicago and have a few dozen friends and acquaintances with accounts here. That's so hideously unfair. If, for example cgregory lived in Toronto or twiggyleaf lived in London, they'd have a huge advantage, too.

To put it succinctly: as unfortunate as it is, we've an echo chamber here, Kaleidoscope are understandably busy with bigger matters, and CotY would feel a bit self-congratulatory or a numbers game, anyway.

Whether or not anyone agrees or disagrees with what I'm saying here, again, as a nominee and only a nominee, I withdraw Serpents from consideration. CotM was really cool and we're all happy with that honor.

~ Jim, just Jim

PS: I always thought it stunk that CotM winners prior to the current year were left out of the running. What if their campaigns were vastly better as time went on?

• SkidAce
    SkidAce

Well put Jim.

Sadly I think we are just one in a myriad of Kaleidoscope's holdings, and rather low on the totem pole, sharing space with other investments.

So upkeep and the occasional fix will likely be the foreseeable future.

Having said that, there are constantly people signing up and creating campaigns, just not enough staying around and becoming part of the community, or Ascendants.

How do we generate enough enthusiasm from new members to raise our signal?  Not sure...

• cgregory
    cgregory

A couple friends who've seen the site recent commented that they thought the site was dead because many of the campaigns shown on the landing page haven't been updated in years.

I think the view of most popular campaigns does not help in making the site look active. Only two sites are showing having been updated in the current year.

The old most recently updated view was better for showing that the site is active and for encouraging new members, since they had a chance of having their campaign on the front page.

Personally, i think sorting by most popular updated within the last 24 hours would be a good default view in order to showcase the sites more popular and active campaigns.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• abu_is_evil
    abu_is_evil

The landing page also has the wrong months for the recent winners- example is it shows Nocturnum as February COTM.

As far as the most popular campaigns being shown, it should not have any that have never been touched since the Reforge, that is for sure..

Just trying to help out.

• SkidAce
    SkidAce

I did a post one time detailing how the old sorting worked.

The Reforge changed it to what we have now, they said it was too complicated to have it the old way.

I might dig that old post up.

• Jim_Mount
    Jim_Mount

Another big issue is that this forum is a dead end, other than our own links to our pages. They said some time ago that integration between the forums and the site was in the works. And they don't do anything for the blog, either. A Facebook link might be nice.

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I agree that there should be some way to cull the default Campaigns listing. I'm just spitballing, but what about creating a new Archived Campaigns option, where any campaign that hasn't been updated in ___ years gets relocated?

I'm no programmer/developer. I have no clue how much work this would require. Is that even feasible?

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Kallak
    Kallak

Hi forums,

We're going to go ahead and "break tradition" a little bit here and announce April's CotM winner before the interview has been posted to the blog. The turnaround time on translations and such is taking a bit longer than expected, and we don't want to have this great campaign miss its time in the sun because of it.

So, we'll have the interview up ASAP, but in the meantime, please feel free to congratulate Evrat and the players of Les Compagnons d'Ailleurs, for winning April 2017's Campaign of the Month.

Congrats guys!

Post edited by Kallak on
    All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Jim_Mount
    Jim_Mount

Yay! Congrats Evrat and players!!

• jasonvey
    jasonvey

Congrats, everyone! Gorgeous site, even though Chrome's Translate feature provides some rather amusing inaccuracies such as "The Story begins in 659 horsepower.". ;). 

• julrox
    julrox

Toutes mes félicitations!
    Post edited by julrox on
  • abu_is_evil
    abu_is_evil

So happy that this campaign won!  It is great to see a campaign win that is not in English!  It is beautiful, well organized, and well written!  Congrats!

Just trying to help out.

• Bortas
    Bortas

Congrats! I'm pleased to see a non-english site win, especially one as beautiful as this. I must admit, though, I did thoroughly enjoy google's poor translation ;-)

-bort

• cgregory
    cgregory

Great looking site. I'm guessing oMiCid did a lot of the graphics for the site? I'm guessing he's the one working at omidesign based on the name? (The urls on some of your art points there)

They are among us!

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Congratulations!

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Congatultions Evrat!  Great campaign and I echo some of my fellows here in welcoming a NON ENGLISH site to the team.  However, regardless of the language barrier, this is a truly amazing site!

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Abersade
    Abersade

Congrats!

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Campaign page is still a month off, and whatever happened to the interview for this month?

Just trying to help out.

• Kallak
    Kallak

I'm seeing April for current CotM, which is correct. Are you seeing March for it?

That said, the interview is forthcoming, we had some delays due to translation(s) and now scheduling apparently. As soon as it's in my hands, I'll have it up.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Yeah, I'm also still seeing it as March atop the All Campaigns page.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• cgregory
    cgregory

That's strange. I'm seeing April there. I'm guessing there is a caching issue or possibly a synching issue between the servers. So depending on which server you hit you are getting a different version of the page.

They are among us!

• Bortas
    Bortas

I see the correct campaign, but the badge says March (I've never been to the page on this comp). I dumped my cache, but I still see it.

The page also reports the last update to the campaign as January 11th, which is incorrect.

-bort

• cgregory
    cgregory

The badge says april for me, but yeah updated Jan 11

If different people are seeing different things, that makes me think possible synching/replication issues on the servers.
    Post edited by cgregory on

They are among us!