white space on wiki pages (when coding tables)

Tau_Cetacean
Tau_Cetacean
edited March 2016 in Campaign Portal Building
HTML I typed:

[[SCOTUS|Supreme Court]] of the [[United States of America]], commonly known as [[SCOTUS]], is the highest court in the judicial branch of the [[United States of America]]

{snipping a whole bunch of crap}

what I get:
a vast chasm of white space between the opening text and the table (e.g. a chronological history of SCOTUS cases and appointments)

what am I missing here? is there some html or textile code to force the white space to go away? some bug in the table code that could cause a vast white space in front of the table?

Comments

• Basileus
    Basileus
    Its not CSS (like padding or margins or similar), although I'm not sure there's a better category for the thread. There are literally just a bunch of
    entries between the p element and the table.

Not sure what might cause them to be added yet. This requires further testing.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    knew it wasn't CSS issue, but didn't see what other category to open this thread under (if it's my bad code to blame, it's not exactly a bug report)
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    as a last-ditch option, trying to delete the page and start over (after copying the info to offline documents)... this has worked before

but I am getting 504 timeout errors whenever try to delete the SCOTUS page, even after I've a) deleted the text in both the wiki section and the GM only section and b) saved the empty page
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Tau, are you entirely certain that you aren't the subject of some sort of psychological experiment designed to measure the effects of alienation and frustration? And OP is controlled by the Stanford researchers who are observing your reactions?
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    No?
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    Hi Tau-Cetacean.

I've seen this behaviour before, mostly when there's space between the table elements. OP seems to take every line break (even in HTML) as a requirement for a (so long as there isn't a closing tag on the page). I've not tracked it, and I'm mostly going by memory - so try removing the whitespace where possible and see if the problem persists.

--
    Ketherian
    "Signs & Portends":https://swtwc.obsidianportal.com Here comes the war
    "Dwarves":https://dwarves-1.obsidianportal.com The attack continues
  • Bortas
    Bortas
    I too have encountered the same thing... I can't remember if I mostly solved it like this:
    @America]]@
    or like this:
    @America]]
    @

-bort
    "Morwindl":https://morwindl.obsidianportal.com
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    after much trial and error, I found the only thing that fixed the white space issue was removing a table I had inside one of the cells of the master table
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    use:
    [[December 2016]][[Lame Duck]] [[Senate (US)|Senate]] confirms [[Merrick Garland]], establishing a 5-4 [[Liberalism|Liberal]] majority
    and no problem

add:
    *Liberals**Conservatives*[[Ruth Bader Ginsburg]][[Anthony Kennedy]][[Stephen Breyer]][[Clarence Thomas]][[Sonia Sotomayor]][[John Roberts]][[Elena Kagan]][[Samuel Alito]][[Merrick Garland]]
    within the second cell (or as the second cell of a different row)

and suddenly you get vast chasm of white space above the table, way before, like before the ratification of the constitution, Maybury v Madison, etc.
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    You have an extra that isn't closed.

I've found table errors tend to add tons of white space to the display. If you remove it, does the white space reduce any?
    --
    Ketherian
    "Signs & Portends":swtwc.obsidianportal.com - A young family has gone missing in a snowstorm.
    "Dwarves of Koldukar":dwarves-1.obsidianportal.com - Trunau!!
    "In a certain realm":inacertainrealm.obsidianportal.com - Where Faerun meets Russian myth.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    removed that error... put that table back into the relevant cell of the larger table... still get the extra white space in front of the larger table
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    Well ... nuts.
    Adding   in every ? Not sure that will do anything (other than take time to do).
    Sounds like you found a bug. It might be related to the empty cells more than anything else. Do you have a page I could check? The generated CSS (what you see on the page as opposed to what you wrote for your site) might explain a few things.

--
    Ketherian
    "Signs & Portends":swtwc.obsidianportal.com - The family is found! But the mystery deepens.
    "In a certain realm":inacertainrealm.obsidianportal.com - Where Faerun meets Russian myth.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    it's https://nanopunk.obsidianportal.com/wikis/scotus

I'll send you an invite into the campaign
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    I've put the table-within-a-table back in so as to recreate the white space glitch
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    thanks!
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    Doh! Sorry -- completely missed the fact that I can edit the dang page.

I need to look at this again a bit more closely.
    Anyone else care to chime in?
    I'll post more tonight.
    --
    Ketherian
    "Signs & Portends":swtwc.obsidianportal.com - A young family has gone missing in a snowstorm.
    Post edited by ketherian on
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    cool... just off of what I saw of your deleted comment: I am talking about the white space between the intro sentence and main table (which only shows up when I insert the table within a table latter on)

I alternate rows so that the text appears on the gray background cells (since it alternates between white and gray background cells) and shows up better (IMO)

also... is there a way of coding it so inserted images have a thin black line as a border? (I mainly ask for the flags of nations which include a large amount of white which will show up against a white background, unless I guess I insert all flags inside a table... I could add these borders in photoshop, but looking for something less... tedious)
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    I created a TestPage on your site Tau-Cetacean for a little testing. I have since removed it.
    It seems you have found a bug.
    Regardless of blank lines or table-rows (rows with empty cells), if you add a subtable (anywhere in the parent table), extra space is generated above and below the parent table.
    I can recreate the bug using a simple two row, two column table on my site.

If you want all the rows to be grey with a white border, that can be created in CSS.

As to border images:

bc.. img {
    padding:1px;
    border:1px solid black;
    }

p. Remove the padding line to bring the border tight to the image.
    --
    Ketherian
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    have submitted a bug report:
    http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/problems/20817-table-bug-creates-white-space
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    okay, added oddity, just edited my notes on modern Russian history into table format, and produced a whole bunch of white space in front of the table, but no table-within-a-table factor this time:
    https://nanopunk.obsidianportal.com/wikis/russian-federation
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    incidentally, seems to do the trick
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    was able to fix the problem with the russia page by having empty lines between the pre-table elements, e.g.:

{{
    "_A gas station masquerading as a country_" ~ [[United States of America|US]] [[Senate (US)|Senator]] [[John McCain]] on [[Russia]]
    Polity in [[Russia]] lasting from [[1992]] to [[2023]]
    }}

results in a lot of what space between the pre-table elements and the table, whereas:

{{

"_A gas station masquerading as a country_" ~ [[United States of America|US]] [[Senate (US)|Senator]] [[John McCain]] on [[Russia]]

Polity in [[Russia]] lasting from [[1992]] to [[2023]]

}}

does not?