OP site update (Feb 2016)

Comments

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    "Co-GM roles have been tweaked, so you can do more Co-GM-ly things."
    Could we have a list of what has been changed? What has not been changed?

Just trying to help out.

• JarissaVenters
    JarissaVenters
    I can confirm from a quick test that a Co-GM cannot edit a player's post on the campaign forum, much less move it to its own thread or do other forum-moderating things.

I can still see GM-only information, and create more of it, and edit it, and upload pictures.

I have not tested whether an attempt by me to invite in a player would work, nor have I monkeyed around with the Advanced campaign settings as this is a really not-ideal month for my main GM partner's mental resources.

I cannot find any changes so far. Where should I be looking?
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I don't have any issues with the way things work at the moment. I currently have two friends operating sites as Co-GM under my name and everything is cool.
    I do, however, think that KVP's question about what has changed may be useful information to know......

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• andreww38
    andreww38
    @kvp - I'll get more details on this.
    The developer working on this was in a road accident today (minor injuries), so as soon as he's back, I'll have him report on the Co-GM rights.

-
    @JarissaVenters - Thanks for the feedback. I've given feedback to the other developer that we need more campaign forum admin rights for the Co-GM, so these are being worked on.

I've also mentioned
    1) player invites
    2) ability to adjust advanced settings

Will post an update once the tech team is in.
  • Bookscorpion
    Bookscorpion
    I really appreciate the updates and fixes. Especially, as someone running a Shadowrun campaign, the ability to enter an adventure log date manually and the quick links to the forum ect.

"Shadowrun: The Rat's Nest":https://ratsnest.obsidianportal.com

Shadowrun: The Rat's Nest - COTM  November 2014

• andreww38
    andreww38
    Great to hear, Bookscorpion!

What's the latest date that your campaign runs? We should be stable at least till 3000 AD.

May be some time before we get support for 40 000 AD....
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    FYI, ChainsawXIV reported some issues with the personal messaging interface (the envelope icon) in the top nav bar.

It doesn't expand correctly.

Tech is working on this.
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    There was some weird stuff earlier with the top nav bar not working correctly (eg: the drop-down menus weren't appearing for "Quick Links", "Campaigns", "New", etc).

Tech has fixed it.

Please file a "customer support ticket":http://help.obsidianportal.com if it recurs.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    fyi - I see changes to the wiki pages (e.g. the share on fakebook, twitter and G+ icons on the page of every page), but if this was the Mon/Tue upgrade that was supposed to fix the non-expanding wiki edit window issue, it's still there
  • Vishera
    Vishera
    I noticed the share buttons.. how do I turn those darned things off? I don't see a simple option to 'display share buttons' or not.

edit: nevermind, its actually pretty easy. In custom CSS:

/* REMOVE SHARE BUTTONS */
    .social-share-button {
    display: none;
    }
    Post edited by Vishera on

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Well I will be adding the above CSS immediately. It should be a toggle in settings.

Not needed for us, don't begrudge the use for others however.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    well, now I need to learn how to customized CSS...

mostly begrudge it because they are doing things like adding this feature instead of fixing the bug that for the last 20 months has made wiki editing painful
    Post edited by Tau_Cetacean on
  • Vishera
    Vishera
    I don't think its necessarily useless. Some people may want to share a page out of their wiki on their FB group etc. But I do think however it should be in the settings to "Enable share buttons" as well as be able to toggle which social media you'd like to include. But Like I said, simply go to your custom CSS section and paste that little bit in the end of your code. :)

• Keryth987
    Keryth987
    What share button are we discussing here?

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• Vishera
    Vishera
    @Keryth987 If you go to any of your wiki pages, it now has share buttons

• Vishera
    Vishera
    yours of course doesn't because its overridden by your heavy Custom CSS :)

• Basileus
    Basileus
    _- Keryth rolls saving throw versus social media -_

Natural 20!
    Post edited by Basileus on
  • Vishera
    Vishera
    BTW, how do you guys set your signature?

• Basileus
    Basileus
    Unless something new has been implemented, I believe most folks use something like AutoText. So they just have to type something like "OPsig" and the software inserts the full signature automatically.
    Post edited by Basileus on
  • Vishera
    Vishera
    Ah, pretty nifty!

DM of "Rage Of Demons: Out of the Abyss":https://rod-oota.obsidianportal.com/

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Thanks Vishera

I have removed mine. I don't really like those things and never use them. However, I don't think they are a bad thing. I'm sure plenty of people will appreciate them, and with the quick CSS fix offered by Vishera, it is no problem to remove.

As for the signatures, I just have a section ready to copy and paste whenever I so choose. One day, perhaps, we shall have a signature facility built in.

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• andreww38
    andreww38
    @Tau -

"mostly begrudge it because they are doing things like adding this feature instead of fixing the bug that for the last 20 months has made wiki editing painful"

The social share buttons is a feature that had been pending since the kickstarter, so if you wanted to date overdue requests, this one dates back to 2013 or earlier.

-
    Re: the large campaign bug - there is quite a bit of work involved in that, involving changing the way code libraries are loaded, and we have one coder working on it. As we've discussed in support tickets, over email, it unfortunately, requires more than changing a few lines of code, but we believe it's worth diverting resources to resolve because it should result in a performance upgrade for all users. GMs with large campaigns and several assets will see faster page load times, while GMs with small, more compact campaigns will see a smaller performance boost (because their page loads should already be pretty speedy).
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    Re: Forum signatures ---

This version of Vanilla Forum software is heavily customized by Micah to accommodate single sign-in and other features.

I had been looking at adding in more plugins, features to make it more user friendly.

Unfortunately, upgrading to the latest version of Vanilla, which had been rebuilt from scratch will mean that all of Micah's customizations will break.

He's advised us to either continue using this version (which doesnt easily support image embeds, forum sigs, post popularity, etc), or upgrade to something like vBulletin, But we would need to figure out how to import/migrate most of the content posted on here, else it will not transfer over.
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    Re: Customization of social share settings

1) I've asked for an option in campaign settings to turn the social sharing on/off. This'll be in for testing once it's ready in 1-2 days.
    As far as possible, I'd like to avoid having GMs needing to put in custom CSS to do workarounds/etc, cos that just takes away from focusing on working on your campaigns.

2) The plugin/software library has those 3 social networks by default. Unless we re-write or code it from scratch, it's not easy to customize it for each OP user. We'll go with this and possibly come back at a future time if there's strong hate for Google+ or one of the other networks.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    So, I think the share button thing is awesome. However, my players are very unhappy, because we are splitting the work so that between the 7 of us we are each doing over 100 adventure log edits to make it work on our logs- since we have over 800 logs....
    So, thanks from me, and a curse from my team.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/
    Over 350 Fans, and Looking for More!

Just trying to help out.

• ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    Killervp, what are you having to do one page at a time to make it work? Did you have content in the posts that was clobbering it somehow?
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    @ Andrew - I get that it's being worked on, but this is just adding bells and whistles when the furnace in the boiler room still isn't working

if, when this problem first cropped up 20 months ago, I had been told about the work-around of dragging the bottom right corner so that more than 2 lines of the wiki-edit window showed up... I'd have been able to get a lot more work done on my wiki during that time and maybe the fakebook sharing button would be of some use... adding the fakebook button now is just rubbing my face in it that a) I am way behind where I want my wiki to be (in large part to the chronic sub-functionality of this site) and b) the problem is still not fixed... instead, on the day you gave as an ETA for it to be fixed, other frivolous changes are being made to the wiki pages.... and c) the first work-around being offered here about the new change was "oh, just customize your CSS", when the fact I *haven't* customized my CSS and that customized CSS *couldn't* be the root cause of my wiki editing problem was something that took way too long to get through

also, when the re-forge happened, logging on without associating my OP account with my fakebook account became a process that now takes a few more clicks... adding fakebook icons to every single wiki page just adds to the feeling the Borg are invading our space and assimilating entire worlds
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    I for one welcome the new sharing buttons, though I don't particularly expect they'll ever be used by me or my players. Social media is a central part of every day life these days, and I can definitely see these proving useful for groups as well as for people using a wiki as a platform for developing settings.

Tau, I'm confused about what you're talking about with CSS in regard to your editing issue - people were suggesting using CSS to customize or hide the new sharing buttons, not fix the editing problem you have, as far as I can see. The two have nothing to do with one another.

It's usually not productive to have more than one programmer on the same bug. They have multiple programmers. Ergo, while a difficult bug is being worked on, other things will continue to move forward. This is a good thing, not a sign of neglect.
    Post edited by ChainsawXIV on
  • Bortas
    Bortas
    The social share on a PAGE doesn't bother me, the social share on LISTS does bother me. Character list page is hideous. Once I load the character page, show me the share buttons, but not out on the list!

-bort
  • Bortas
    Bortas
    Instead of just complaining, if you don't mind the social shares on the individual pages (I think it would be great for players to use these!) but don't want them on your perfect lists:

@/* Remove share buttons from character, item and adventure log lists */
    .campaign-public-layout .adventure-log-post-container.teaser .social-share-button,
    .item-index.campaign-public-layout .character-list-item .social-share-button,
    .character-index.campaign-public-layout .character-list-item .social-share-button {
    display: none;
    }@

-bort
    "Morwindl":https://morwindl.obsidianportal.com