The Rubicon is in sight!

twiggyleaf
twiggyleaf
edited January 2016 in General Discussion
What does that mean?
Y'all will probably know I can consider myself an OP veteran by now. There are older members and I respectfully bow to their venerated status.
"We came, we saw, we conquered," I hear people say.
But those REFORGE Celts certainly rocked the empire somewhat.
In war, we all suffer pain and indignity. Sure!
But let us set our sights on that great City across the river.

Many thanks to Alex for bridging the gap.
I am in utter reverence of the evident resolve of Andrew Wee.
It was slow in coming, but I feel (and REALLY feel) he is now totally with us.

We have suffered. But let us now cut that suffering from our memory.
Things will never be as they were. But they can be better. Much better.
Let us make it so!

Let Obsidian Portal flourish!
Please pledge your support.....

twiggyleaf
CURRENT CAMPAIGN: "Mysteria":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/mysteria - set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.
Previous CotM Aug 2012: "Shimring":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

Comments

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    P.S: I was not paid for this. LOL!

Inner Council Member

• MachineGunHarry
    MachineGunHarry
    Twigs, I support this message. Well spoken!
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    Heya, it has been a pleasure working with the OP community.
    Even on the 10+ hour days when I am a little mentally burned, working on OP is always a pleasure.
    Speaking for myself, getting a gig working with anything game-/anime-/comic-related is a boon and a blessing.

Your continued participation is an endorsement of our work.

PS: Aaron (aasampson) is doing a kick-ass job on the customer support desk.
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Yes, Twiggy, I agree.

For some reason, I feel like quoting Bill Murray, "We came, we saw, we kicked its ASS"

Here's to the continued growth and improvement of Obsidian Portal

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Andrew- Much respect, you have done a lot. You have been professional, and been the first since Kaleidoscope took over a year ago to actually get some things accomplished. Kudos to you.

Unfortunately cannot agree with your assessment of Aaron- he is closing a lot of tickets that should be open, has often not notified people on the help tickets where to go if he is consolidating, and there still seems to be no rhyme or reason for the tickets he is taking.

Just my 2 cents.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com

Just trying to help out.

• Basileus
    Basileus
    To killervp's point about help tickets: I think a big part of the problem is that there likely isn't a formal process for how tickets are closed at this point.

My suggestion to OP (based on working with ticket/case systems in enterprise environments) is that closing a ticket require either:

1) Explicit acknowledgment that the issue is completely resolved by the case opener. (i.e. case opener says "Thanks, please close this case.")
    OR
    2) Where the case has not been updated from the opener in some time, a notice that the case will be closed in X days if there is no further response. (i.e. OP support updates the case with "Please note that this case will be closed in 3 days due to lack of response. Please reply if further action or information is needed." and then waits 3 days to close it)
    Post edited by Basileus on
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    What Basileus suggests would be a good idea.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Sounds good to me. In principle. A part of me just wants to close all tickets from before a certain time and start afresh but I guess there are serious issues that were never really properly addressed so the suggested action seems reasonable. At least some of the extraneous issues can be shaved off and maybe more can be concentrated on THE CORE. However, even these may have to be re-assessed in carving a new way forward.

twigs
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

Inner Council Member

• andreww38
    andreww38
    Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback, keep posting.

I have daily scrums during the week with the tech teams and customer support, so I will see how we can address the points being raised.
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Yah, doing a one-time purge (closing, not deleting) of, say... any help ticket that hasn't been updated in the last 90 days, would be acceptable in my eyes.

Might still catch a few that legitimately need attention, but there needs to be a starting point.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    No way!! There are issues that exist for a very long time- don't make me go back through tickets and refresh them every 90 days, please!!
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com

Just trying to help out.

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    all for not closing tickets just because they are old... but did my bit to consolidate tickets (asked my video embed not working ticket to be closed, joined a larger ticket with the same problem)
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I also asked for my SEARCH FOR CAMPAIGNS ticket to be closed, now that that function has been added!

twigs

Inner Council Member

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    so once we cross the Rubicon we stage a coup d'etat against the Republic and bring about the Empire, right? or am I over-thinking the metaphor?
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    no no, you have that spot on... this is probably not the right place to talk about though, use the other forum ;)
    Post edited by NikMak on
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    FYI, we've discussed this issue in our meeting and are working out some processes to better take care of tickets, plus announce a protocol to handle/consolidate tickets, which we'll be announcing in the coming weeks.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Actually, I just meant more of "getting to the City" and less of "the revolution". We must beware the Ides of March.

twigs

Inner Council Member

• Yzjdriel
    Yzjdriel
    I have no idea to what this is referring, but using my coniderable cognitive abilities (JK lol i'm just a university student, but hey, self-inflation. yay), I'm assuming this 'reforge' was a complete redesign of some features?

At any rate, I support the idea of not having flame wars.

/post
  • Bobloblah
    Bobloblah
    Great to FINALLY see some progress being made, even if it's erratic. I was on the verge of dropping my Ascendant membership, but at least there's some small hope now. The fact that that's probably true for a lot of us had better not make the OP staff complacent; they burned through a lot of the remaining good will in the last few months.
  • weasel0
    weasel0
    "A world building vid":http://vimeo.com/1674068?pg=embed&sec=1674068

For a taste of the way back when prior to 3 years ago.
    Post edited by weasel0 on