Server maintenance / OP going offline...for a bit.

2»

Comments

• Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Having the totals would be far more useful. Otherwise I'd have to wade through 6 or more campaigns (Some I'm working on, some abandoned for now, and some test sites) and add everything up to see how much space I have left. Which would be a PITA.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• tbug
    tbug
    If the code already exists to tell us how much storage each campaign is using then I see no reason to remove that functionality, but adding the totals would certainly be a big help.

Thanks for your increased communication!
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    Here is what I am working on, and it'll be good to hear your input.

-
    The kickstarter, in my opinion, wasn't costed realistically. Here's a breakdown.

Here are the file storage locker sizes now:
    Free users: 2mb
    ascendant users: 5gb

-
    What was promised during the kickstarter:
    Free users: 250mb per campaign
    ascendant users: 10gb per campaign

Let's talk about "per campaign". If an ascendant user has 10 campaigns, allotting 10gb per campaign means we need to provision 100gb.
    If he (or she) had 20 campaigns, that means we need to reserve 200gb.

To place it into context: 100gb of media would be equivalent to about 25 hours of HD-quality video.

While we can provide that amount of file storage, going from 5gb of disk storage per ascendant now, to potential 100-200gb per ascendant account (whether used or not), would mean that ascendant monthly fees would go from $5 per month to at least $50 or more.

Whether "10gb per campaign" was a typo or if "10gb per account" was the true intention, we'll never know.
    Maybe whomever was writing up the original kickstarter stretch goals got overexcited and put the cart before the horse.

What I can try to make work is "10gb file storage locker per ascendant account". I've looked at some of the OP's power users and the file storage used is about 3-4gb, so there 10gb should be enough to last at least the next 2-3 years. We should be able to maintain ascendant membership fees at their current level.

We could have an upgrade option to add another 10gb to your account for another $3 to $5 per month if you bust your 10gb. Though we might also offer options to archive older campaigns and do some compression or other magic and maybe also place in a showcase section (can't be played/run possibly) so all the files and other assets don't count towards your disk storage used?

The bottomline is: we're working on delivering 10gb per ascendant account. I have to press the go button for the techs to get this done.

------

The more problematic area is 250mb for free accounts.

Free accounts now have 2mb. About 70-80% of them don't use any of the 2mb. I believe they're player accounts (correct me if I'm wrong).

Going from 2mb to 250mb for about 200k free accounts will mean that storage costs will increase significantly for users who might not upload much.

Kaleidoscope will take up the costs, though eventually some of the storage costs will trickle down to ascendant users.

My thoughts are to keep free users to 2mb, and if they find the service useful, they can do the 30-day trial for ascendant and go from there.

----
    So what's happening now is that we will be moving towards 10gb for ascendant users and keeping free users at 2mb.

There is quite a bit of coding/recording needed, so this is something that can realistically be completed the week of jan 18 or jan 25.
    Post edited by andreww38 on
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    There are also plans to do stuff like:
    1) a comprehensive file storage locker listing/management system
    2) possibly working in rules so that deleting something from your file listing may also remove the file reference in your wiki (else the broken link will lead to a 404 error)
    3) detaching file storage locker so that it's a discrete/separate module.

This stuff takes time to plan, code, test and debug, so it is more a medium term (2+ months from now) deliverable.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I probably am in theB top 5 on usage, and I feel that 10Gb is enough. Could there be an option to pay more to get more than that perhaps?
    I always thought it was per account, to be honest.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/
    Over 350 Fans, and Looking for More!

Just trying to help out.

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I also thought all along it was per account.
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    @killervp - apologies if my post wasn't clear.

I am pretty sure we can do 10gb for all ascendant accounts, cos this was promised during the kickstarter and something that I am 90% sure we can deliver on.

-
    We can have options to offer storage upgrade blocks of, maybe 5gb or 10gb at a time, I am making a wild guess here for $3-5/mth. Don't hold me to that, it may be less, or more, as I said, I feel that stuff was promised during the ks, that may not have been properly thought out, so some "economy building" within OP needs to be done.

-
    I think what will help is having a listing of files loaded to OP, because it is pretty tough to figure out how much space you need if you're not sure what is in your account and how much space it will take.

I will say that whatever upgrade options are developed will be in line with what you're paying now.

So if a $5/month ascendant comes with 10gb of storage, then it will be nuts for another 10gb to cost more than $5/mth. It should be $5, or less (economies of scale) and balancing the "game economy".
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    @skidace - I would have assumed that too, though looking at the "KS page":https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/252020431/obsidian-portal-reforged/description for OP reforged, it says

-

Plus, if we can hit this stretch goal, we will be able to increase the storage size limits for both free and Ascendant campaigns. The free limit will climb to 250MB and the Ascendant limit will rise to 10GB.

-
    So the wording seems to suggest 10gb per ascendant campaign, not per account.

Maybe the scribe was high on melange or something that day.
    It might be hard to ask, cos the Tleilaxu killed the mentat.

In any case, I feel that the original promise was a little, to use a technical term, "nutty".
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    _Aren't y'all glad I brought this up? We're actually resolving details of a specific chunk of KS promises!_

Just to clean up my two cents, I also assumed it was always intended to be per account, rather than per campaign. But, that's semantics and unclear wording for ya.
    What I would very much like to see, however, is how much uploaded data is allocated per "campaign" to the total "account".

Something like:
    @[Campaign 1 (20MB)]--[Campaign 2 (1GB)]--[Unused Space] / [Total Space on Account]@
    Maybe multicolored bars for graphic appeal?

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Love the idea Mae, and yes, glad you brought it up. Right now I just want the measurement to be accurate, which it is not.

Just trying to help out.

• Keryth987
    Keryth987
    I always thought it was 10GB per account.

And I second Mae's request

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• andreww38
    andreww38
    Thanks for the suggestion, Mae.

I'll factor that into the planning for the file storage locker re-coding.
  • kettle
    kettle
    Great Idea Mae. I love this idea.

Kettle

"Rise of the Dead COTM June 2013":https://rise-of-the-dead.obsidianportal.com/
  • Torg_Smith
    Torg_Smith
    I am good with the 10GB total for the Ascendant account. If I need more, I do not have an issue paying an additional amount for it.

One thing I would like to see is the map size increased to 20MB instead of the 5MB. This would give us more detail on the area maps as we should be able to make them 8K on a side.
    Post edited by Torg_Smith on
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    If I understand the process with the maps correctly, that limitation may be less about the storage space and more about the server processing required to convert the map into the proper setup for the google maps system. Not sure though.
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Gods yes to the more detail for maps. Even with the improvements made with the KS (4x bigger limits, 2 more zoom levels), 4096x4096 is still tiny for the maps I have sourced (not to mention...square?! Why?!). And forget about me posting the complete map, I wouldn't be able to fit anything on there.

But that deserves another topic.

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• weasel0
    weasel0
    While not best case, I just upload additional maps and set it up like the old Atlas books.

"See this pink highlighted area enlarged on the next page" type thing.

But yes, larger map to begin with would be pretty sweet.