Random Intro

Tau_Cetacean
Tau_Cetacean
edited December 2015 in Player Lounge
So, yeah, figured should introduce myself since I started posting to the forums after keeping to myself for last two years... my name is Thomas, most of my RPing experience is D&D (2nd and 3.5rd, never really got into 4th ed), the old WEG Star Wars, GURPS and Shadowrun

currently using up a dozen campaign slots on OP, none currently public: one for a generic post-Endor Star Wars setting that I might run, one for my homebrew D&D campaign world that I've been using since middle school (in mid-30s now), one for an old Shadowrun campaign setting that I shared with 4 other GMs over the course of two decades, one that was a start at documenting an ICONS campaign I was playing in but seems to have fizzled, six of which are basically placeholders for alternate histories I'd started to toy with... and the big kahuna... the one I've spent the most time on, is the setting for a sci-fi novel and/or RPG I want to write/run... combining my various loves - space, geology, history, geopolitics... essentially wikipedia written from the POV of the point in history that the novel and/or RPG is set in... I settled on OP as the place to use because of the potential RPG angle, and because it offered private wiki hosting until I was ready to make it public... and even if/when I make it public, the "GM only" section on each wiki page would be extremely useful for all my stray notes and half-baked ideas... like a mansion with a thousand rooms, and each room with dust swept under the carpet

I have a lot of complaints about the current state of the website, which is what brought me out of my little introverted groove... but now that I'm out, do want to make a positive contribution to these forums

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak
    Welcome to the boards. I saw your other posts, and you seem like a nice enough person. Hopefully you don't end up needing to work out your contingency plans.
    All the best,
    - Kallak
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Tau_Cetacean

Great to meet you.
    Well you have certainly "come out into the open" with a bang!
    "Bravo!" for all your efforts so far, and I look forward to seeing more of you in the forums.

twiggyleaf
    CURRENT CAMPAIGN: "Mysteria":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/mysteria - set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.
    Previous CotM Aug 2012: "Shimring":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Welcome Tau- Some of us still are around to commiserate and help where we can!
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com

Just trying to help out.

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    Thanks.

Really glad I popped in, the tip from Basileus alone on a work-around for my wiki edit issue was worth it... reduces the daily level of frustration with the site to something short of thermonuclear...

- Tau
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Yes, Tau, I think you will find that you will get more from the members than you can ever hope to get from the governing body (if I may use such a meaningless phrase)

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Welcome Tau,

As KillerVP said, some of us still hanging around to keep the community going. And some even hoping things will start to get better around here too

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• Lxcharon
    Lxcharon
    Welcome Tau!

When I was younger I was fascinated by the West End Games Star Wars RPG (and Alterinty, another scifi RPG) but never got around to actually playing it. But I owned the books and poured over them learning all the rules. I'm jealous that you used to play them
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    my book club has picked "Heir to the Empire" for January, re-reading the whole Thrawn trilogy now and planning on re-reading the WEG Thrawn Trilogy sourcebook just for kicks too
  • Lxcharon
    Lxcharon
    Great books. It's sad that there's about to be a whole new generation of star wars fans that will never read them.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    yeah, they were great, I remember waiting impatiently for each new installment to come out... and Zahn even did his homework and read the stack of sourcebooks WEG sent him, so things are were already in the RPG sourcebooks went into his novels

then I think they just went crazy and milked the cash cow for all it was worth, with people like Anderson pooping out an entire trilogy in one year... so there was a lot of bathwater added, but throwing out Thrawn pains me (the only thing which really drives me nuts about Zahn's plotting is how the main characters keep running into each other, without planning on it, in a galaxy with hundreds of billions of stars and presumably at least a few billion inhabited systems...)

preoccupied with saving my hard sci-fi world-building from OP, but I am really tempted to go work on a Star Wars campaign setting, maybe something that only took Episodes IV-VI as canonical and was agnostic towards Thrawn and Force Awakens (the main thing I would throw out is "Truce at Bakara", the whole idea of outside alien threats didn't really mesh with the established galaxy-spanning Old Republic / Empire... and I have specific ideas for immediate post-Endor adventure that would take that slot in the timeline)
    Post edited by Tau_Cetacean on
  • Lxcharon
    Lxcharon
    I didn't know the tidbit about Zahn reading the WEG rulebooks. I had read the rulebooks before reading the trilogy so that may have lent to to why I loved them so much.

And I can't complain much, when I was younger I had spiraled into a hole of Star Wars EU books and loved them all. (Though I'm sure they'd now go with much of RA Salvatore's work as books I loved in childhood that I probably wouldn't care for as much now)