Publish?

Comments

• DivineDragoonXD
    DivineDragoonXD
    Everyone knows about the Publish check box at the bottom of every part of the campaign creation on Obsidian, right?

Well I have a question. If I were to check off Publish does that mean I essentially lose any and all rights to MY original work?

Thank in advance.
  • Micah
    Micah
    Absolutely not! We don't want to steal your material. The publish box is our way of getting consent to use your material in promoting the site and your campaign. We make no claims on ownership of your material.

Currently, the only thing we do is syndicate your Adventure Log posts to blog syndication services like Technorati and Google Blog Search. However, there are some far-future ideas for exchanging campaign info with player-matching sites to help players find open campaigns and vice-versa.

Essentially, we want to make sure that people know that we're trying to increase the exposure of their campaign material. We didn't want people getting scared and angry when they saw their Adventure Log posts showing up in Google Blog Search or similar services.
  • Wolvyn
    Good to know, i was wondering about that. feel free to use anything in my game for whatever purpose ya want.
  • DruLeeParsec
    I have another publish question. Does publishing a campaign give public access to the GM information? Once I'm done with running my adventure I'd like to let other people play it as well. That would require opening up the GM info to the public.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    I would guess "no", since people are allowed/encouraged to publish their campaigns at any point during their progress, and that'd be a horrid backdoor for players to sneak a peek at stuff they oughtn't to know.

You could always drag/drop stuff out of the GM-only fields into the main fields, perhaps with some special formatting to set it off for your readers.
  • DruLeeParsec
    I guess another possibility would be to put an announcement on the main page of my adventure letting GMs know that I will add them as GM on my adventure if they ask. But it would be nice to allow GMs to have access automatically.

I see your point about the "back door". But I wonder if that's any more of an issue than any other published module. The players could always just buy/download the module themselves. But having the whole thing available for free online might be too much of a temptation.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Well, there's always going to be a trust issue. My concern was mostly while you're running it for your current players. You can use the OP wiki to have your players keep in-character journals, let the players edit what they know about NPCs, stuff like that. If you keep all the GM-only stuff GM-only for now, then you can let them have that active hand in the wiki development as their iteration of the campaign progresses and things grow and change, without them discovering anything too soon.

Personally, my inclination would be to archive all the "originals" of my pages into another format entirely - .txt file, .pdf file, that sort of thing - and make THAT available upon request after the campaign ends. Then you can give the new GM the same brand-new beginning that you and your players had with this world, and they may take it in a whole different direction.