Obsidian Portal beats WotC, film at 11

MythicParty
MythicParty
edited August 2008 in General Archive

Comments

• MythicParty
    MythicParty
    http://www.enworld.org/articles/Gleemax_is_Dead/6908
    Congratulations to Micah, Ryan, & the entire OP Community. I've been absent for quite a bit (our new website) but I'm very happy to be the messenger on this. Go Darwinism!
  • dm_punks
    dm_punks
    Whoa. Kudos to Micah & Ryan, and to all of us!
  • MythicParty
    MythicParty
    Hmmm. Micah's & FemmeLegions's posts in this thread are both gone. Conspiracy?!
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    This was during that database hiccup.
  • MythicParty
    MythicParty
    Which was caused by Gleemax: http://forums.obsidianportal.com/forums/1/topics/450
    :)
  • Micah
    Micah
    Heh, wish I could blame them for our own stupidity... ;)
  • ajb47
    ajb47
    I'm a little confused.

Did OP beat WotC because OP *does* everything Gleemax was *supposed* to do? Because, then I get it.

But it sounds like there was some sort of declared rivalry and I don't remember hearing about it.

AJ
  • redstar
    redstar
    bq. I’m a little confused.
    Did OP beat WotC because OP does everything Gleemax was supposed to do? Because, then I get it.
    But it sounds like there was some sort of declared rivalry and I don’t remember hearing about it.
    AJ

Don't question it! OP wins!
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Hi vermilion,

I don't ever remember hearing the PTB saying "we're gonna outdo Gleemax". Again, I was always under the impression that Gleemax was strictly going to be focused on WotC/Hasbro products, which would mean OP was not strictly competition since they were platform-neutral.

And technically it's hard to claim that OP "defeated" Gleemax because nowhere in the official announcement did WotC/Hasbro say the site was abandoned because there were other sites available to fill the void. Granted, they have nothing to gain and potentially plenty to lose by so saying, so it's not surprising they didn't, but it still makes it hard to decisively claim "victory". We OP-fen will just do it anyway. ;)
  • ajb47
    ajb47
    I've only been here since the end of March, so that's why I wasn't sure about some sort of open rivalry, so that is what was confusing me. And it seems there was none, so I am no longer confused.

I have an account on WotC forums and I was there long before the Gleemax announcement. At least the first several messages about the forums migrating to Gleemax said that the site was supposed to be for *any* RPG, and I think it was supposed to be some sort of Facebook for gamers. I always thought the interface for the site was crappy. I went to college for computer programming and worked in the field for several years before becoming a stay-at-home dad and I couldn't easily figure out how to do just about anything on that site. And the forums were a lot slower once they moved them.

So, um, yeah. OP is light years ahead of what Gleemax was doing. At least in my humble opinion.

AJ