Game-specific Monsters

Jennifer
Jennifer
edited August 2007 in Feature Requests

Comments

• Jennifer
    Jennifer
    I think it'd be nice to have a section in the Campaign to put game-specific monsters. Not NPC's with their own names etc, but generic creatures that you've made up specifically for your game.
  • Randolpho
    Randolpho
    I agree, great idea.

I know not every game will have them, but custom prestige or base classes, feats, and talents/talent trees might also be nice.
  • Micah
    Micah
    I'd really like to offer all this stuff. In fact, that was the original idea for OP (an online database for characters, spells, monsters, feats, etc.). However, people have really latched onto the campaign blogging stuff, and it's personally my favorite part too.

If we get the time, we'll try to flesh out more of the peripheral content (items, monsters, etc.), but we've really bumped it down on the priority list. Instead, we're working on making the campaign blog/wiki stuff more friendly (like reverse post ordering, pagination, and the like).

Keep the ideas coming. They are greatly appreciated.
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Why not just create pages in the Party Wiki for custom classes/feats/etc? That's what I'm doing. El Generico monsters can probably go on the NPC page . . . Is it possible to create a 3rd heading on the NPC page for "monsters"? This would probably be easier than adding another tab and a bunch of monster-related layout stuff.
  • bluea
    bluea
    This also seems like a good job for the "Tag" business. If there's a simple way to put any text onto a wiki-page that isn't printed, then each and every wiki page can be 'tagged'.

Make a new monster, say something Cthulhuesque?
    --Tags: Monster, Cthulhu, Aberration, 5HD

New location?
    --Tags: City, Capital, Human, ...

What I'm saying is, it really doesn't matter where the page _is_ so long as we can find it somehow. And if the aim is cross-campaign ideas being sparked, the key piece is finding the new city idea. Or new monster idea.
  • Micah
    Micah
    These are all good ideas...I'm listening...

Bluea,

The findability issue is a big one. Tagging in some sense makes it easier, assuming it's expressed well. I haven't put a lot of work into making the wikis navigable, but as they grow it will probably become more and more important. On the flip side, I didn't want the wikis to be a main focus of each campaign. They are good for some things, but there are better tools in a lot of cases (ie. the NPC tracker). Part of our job is to figure out better ways to express and organize than just by wiki.
  • Randolpho
    Randolpho
    bq. Jennifer wrote: "Why not just create pages in the Party Wiki for custom classes/feats/etc? That’s what I’m doing. El Generico monsters can probably go on the NPC page . . . Is it possible to create a 3rd heading on the NPC page for “monsters”? This would probably be easier than adding another tab and a bunch of monster-related layout stuff."

Well, that's what I'm doing (or going to do if I ever actually feel the need to create a new feat/class), I just thought it might be nice to have as an archive like the NPCs and Items. Something that's easily discovered, shared, and (most importantly) linked.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    Technically, though, isn't a monster just an NPC? I mean, it's a character, but the GM controls it... I think it would be a good idea to have such a feature, but I do think that in the meantime one could easily justify using the NPC tracker to do it.
  • geekevolved
    geekevolved
    Using the NPC tracker in conjunction with tags make this work pretty well. phontoneater is right, I think.