Need Serious Help - Major CSS Screwup

Mercutio361
Mercutio361
edited August 2012 in Campaign Portal Building
Okay, I just earned myself the idiot of the month award (doubled by the fact I should have known better - I'm not a CSS expert, but I'm not a total newb either).

I was working the CSS under my campaign edit CSS box, and made the idiot mistake - I was trying to set some css for my background - and set the body to a fixed position, now not allowing me to scroll back down to the CSS box to fix the issue. The whole page is offset completely, and I can't fix it. I'm hoping I don't have to scrap the whole thing and start over :(

My campaign is http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/legends-of-azebron

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
----------------------------------------------

Nevermind, I fixed it...thank god for Firebug! lol!

Comments

• tic
    tic
    I'm glad you found the option in Firebug to edit the CSS of your loaded page. For anyone else who is afraid to experiment with their CSS for fear of doing something like this, fret not! You can use Chrome's "Inspect Element" widow, or the Firebug extension for Firefox, to edit how the CSS of a page displays in your instance of that page. So if you do something that hides your edit buttons, or makes the page unusable, just go into Inspect Element / Firebug and disable that bit of CSS.

Nothing to be afraid of! Roam free and experiment!

:]
    Post edited by tic on
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Hm, someday when I emerge from the Ivory tower of academia I'm going to have to learn me some of this new-fangled CSS as well! Right now I'm still living in the dark-ages of HTML.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Post edited by arsheesh on
  • Mercutio361
    Mercutio361
    I actually tried to disable the css using Chrome's inspect element since that's my main browser, but it wouldn't let me do it, so I switched over to firefox and used firebug.

For now I just went back to the html/inline-css until I can figure out how to do the background-border in the CSS box
    Post edited by Mercutio361 on
  • tic
    tic
    Background-border? Could you describe the effect you're trying to create, Mercutio?
  • Mercutio361
    Mercutio361
    @tic
    I'm referring to the background area outside the main content area (the one you have a few limited options for in the setting editor
  • tic
    tic
    You're currently using the following to set your background, correct?

@@

To do this with the CSS box in the Campaign Settings pane, use this instead:

@body {background: url('http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff394/Sdhouston/background2.jpg') fixed repeat;}@

The other stuff you have going on is being used to make a regular old DIV box go behind everything else, take up the full width and height, and then stay in place while allowing everything else to scroll. You saw what happens earlier when you apply those settings to the html tag -- dang, are they ever not pretty. But all of that stuff was just being used to replicate the look of using a plain ol' background property on your , so now that you have access to style the body directly, you can shed the work-arounds and other now-superfluous properties.
  • Mercutio361
    Mercutio361
    Oh that's awesome. Thanks! That's just was I was going for - except I went for it all wrong lol!
  • tic
    tic
    No problem! Give us a shout on the boards if you need help with anything else :)