Latest Updates - more or less?

Micah
Micah
edited April 2008 in Feature Requests

Comments

• Micah
    Micah
    What are peoples' thoughts on the latest updates feature? More specifically, what about the number of updates - too many or too few?

IMHO, it seems to me that there are too many updates, since it happens every time someone edits a wiki page or adventure log post (although multiple quick edits to the same page don't create multiple updates). So, I've thought about trying to throttle this back a little in order to hopefully only publish an update when something meaningful occurs.

Assuming that others agree (and if you don't, please say so!), here are some options:

h3. Update only on page creation

In this option, the update will only trigger when a page is created. So, when an adventure log post is authored or a wiki page is created.

*Upsides*: fewer updates, you know it's always something new

*Downsides*: wiki pages can change a lot over their lifetime, not just at creation

h3. Allow user to select when updates are published

Similar to wikipedia, in this option the user can check a box to say "minor update" so that no update is triggered.

*Upsides*: (probably) fewer updates, user controls what does and doesn't cause an update

*Downsides*: if you're like me, you ignore this checkbox most times anyway

----

Note that these aren't the only possible options, but they are ones that I could implement fairly quickly. Other more exotic options, like "only update if >= 20% of the original document has been modified" are too difficult right now.

Please weigh in with your thoughts and suggestions!
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    My vote would be for the "allow user to select" option, with the default to NOT notifying.

But then again, that's because my writing style is fits and starts (sshhh, I update from work), and I really don't need people getting spammed because I was able to squeak out one or two sentences between phone calls.
  • DMaple
    DMaple
    I agree with FemmeLegion. I often edit a entry in GM Only mod over several days, and then uncheck GM Only and notify my players. Having user select but the default to NOT notify would be a great idea.
  • Charsen
    Charsen
    I would also like to just click a button to say when I'm ok with announcing an update... something like that. I like to edit a lot, and sometimes I create a page but don't fill it out til a week or two later. So if it only updates on creation then I would resort to deleting the page and remaking it when I'm done with the text... But on the other hand, the updates page is very cluttered. So in other words, I'd personally prefer FemmeLegion's option, I think.

Or perhaps have the regular update "spam" for any edit only sent to people who are fans or players, and then have "major updates" sent globally?
  • darkliquid
    darkliquid
    Instead of using an additional checkbox, you could have 2 submit buttons, one with 'Update' and one with 'Update without notification' or something like that. It's harder to forget you can elect not to notify on an update when there is a big obvious button.
  • DarthKrzysztof
    DarthKrzysztof
    I agree with the consensus - less update notification is OK with me, and leaving it up to the user to decide when it's "worth" announcing an update sounds like the way to go.

I would, however, like the option to notify when NPC pages are updated, since at present it seems to only notify when they're created...
  • Micah
    Micah
    Cool. All good ideas. It looks like the majority view is that the "allow editor to choose update notification" option is best, as long as it defaults to no-notification.

I'll put it on the TODO list.