New WYSIWYG editor - WARNING!!

Micah
Micah
edited April 2008 in General Archive

Comments

• Micah
    Micah
    We've recently added a WYSIWYG ("what-you-see-is-what-you-get") editor (called TinyMCE) to most of the longer text fields. However, we must warn you:

h2. Don't use both Textile and TinyMCE !!

TinyMCE is for people that don't want to deal with the hassle of learning Textile. It is a Javascript editing tool that makes it a little easier to write and format your posts. However, it outputs bare HTML, and adds a lot of extra tags. If you try to do certain Textile things inside this (like tables or lists, for example) the added HTML from TinyMCE will break the Textile formatting.

You can still make wiki links, like so:

[[:link-to-character]]
    or
    [[link to wiki page]]

If you want to use the new tool, edit your user profile and check the "use WYSIWYG editor" field. By default it's turned off for old users (who are used to Textile) and turned on for new users (who are just joining the site).

h2. This should be a campaign-wide decision!!

It will be a real pain for everyone if some of your players use TinyMCE and others use Textile. So, unless you want to be constantly reformatting, make sure that everyone is using the same thing.
  • awmyhr
    awmyhr
    This explains what just happened to me today. Is there an easy way to translate from one to the next? I've noticed that WYSIWYG is not quite as powerful (no tables without resorting to HTML for instance)
  • Micah
    Micah
    AFAIK, there is no easy conversion. The two different styles are for two different types of people. TinyMCE is for people who just want to get something working. Textile is for those who want maximum control (ie. power-users).

We could turn off one or the other, but we're trying to service two very different classes of users.

I guess we could also look at doing something like MediaWiki (ie. Wikipedia). They have the helper-buttons at the top that will pre-format text for you. Everything would all still be Textile, but there would be a little help for people to learn how to do it.
  • Gully
    Gully
    Wow that explains every thing I have been trying to get tables to work for three days now think I dyslexict the processess some how.
  • dqhershey
    Do I need to have a premium account to access this checkbox for turning off TinyMCE?
  • Micah
    Micah
    No, it should be on your edit profile page.

Still, that's an interesting concept...charge money to turn off an irritating wysiwyg editor.

Maybe it's time to get rid of the damned thing altogether...
  • Gully
    Gully
    Micah, that might be a good idea, at least untill you can:
    1. Find a WYSiWYG that works seemlessly with textile.
    2. Find a programing code as easy to use as Textile that works with the WYSiWYG

At least to me it seems that most of your members here use the textile. I know that I do, and I'm not what you call a proggramer. Any way not trying to tell you what to do with your sight.

Oh and Thanks so much for greating this, I have enjoyed it eminsley, its helping me put togather a campaign world that I ve been meaning to get in wrighting instead of just in my head.
  • Micah
    Micah
    I found found a Textile WYSIWYG-lite editor that I'll be rolling out soon. It's not full-featured (yet), but I'm playing with a couple options to find the right mixture.

Textile is ultimately the best way to get the most out of the site, so that's the way we're going to head.
  • spidieman
    spidieman
    is there a way to covert our posts? I don't know enough about either, and i am sure i am using both.
  • takenote61
    takenote61
    I am very lost on this. I just joined today and have had a hell of a time trying to format anything. HTML doesn't always work, the textile stuff doesn't always work. I've tried the Use WYSIWYG on and off and both seem equally annoying.

If Textile is the right way, that means the Use WYSIWYG should be off? Do all the textile commands in the help screen actually work?
  • Micah
    Micah
    Yes, Textile is the right way to go, and we're getting rid of the WYSIWYG html editor because it's a pain to use and it garbles the Textile.

Use WYSIWYG should be off, yes.

To get help with Textile, create a post in the help section and give some examples of what you're trying to do. Textile can be a little frustrating at first, but along with a sprinkling of HTML and CSS it's possible to make some really nice stuff.
  • malakaiunseen
    ok, new user here.
    I created a new wiki page, lets call it X, return of the Z
    I tried to link to it using Textile so it should be [[X, return of the Z]] but it doesnt display hte link in hte page, just hte wiki name with hte brackets around it. Is this because of the comma? If so, Im failing to see the benefits of this system if I cant even use basic punctuation, not to mention that I dont see it mentioned anywhere that this wont work...
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    You can't include commas or other punctuation in your page names because they are translated into web addresses, which cannot contain those characters either. If you want to include punctuation in your link, try this:

[[King Pong Return of the Pixels|King Pong, Return of the Pixels]]

The part before the pipe (|) character is the link, so no punctuation there, while the part after is the text used on the page, and can contain whatever.