New Feature: Player Secrets

Comments

• mdick99
    mdick99
    How do I actually add a character so that they can see it?
  • nezumih
    nezumih
    When editing the secret, you should see an area just below the text box that lists players' screen names. Simply check the one(s) you want to include and save.
  • mdick99
    mdick99
    No, all I can see under the text box is the preview button and some text "Who can see this secret?" which isn't clickable, so I think there is a bug here somewhere. Micah I'm using Google Chrome (9.0.597.98) if that's an issue.
  • Micah
    Micah
    Assuming it's "this one":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-scorpion-on-your-back then it seems that the issue is you have no players. All the PCs are owned by you and I see no players listed for the game. You'll need to invite players to join the campaign before you can start sharing secrets.

If you need more help, send me a note at [email protected] You'll get help much faster.
  • The_Concierge
    The_Concierge
    Just tried this feature out and as someone running an investigative/mystery it is great to have and is working smoothly! Thanks for this! Hope it sticks :D
  • LeOban
    LeOban
    This seems like a pretty cool feature but I think it'd be really cool if you can choose to keep it a secret from the GM/DM too. I'm in a current campaign where we're creating a plan we don't want the DM to know about, I know it's not a common occurrence but it'd be pretty helpful. I hope this feature sticks around!
  • igornappovich
    igornappovich
    sneaky tjames, I like it! DMs usually either LOVE or HATE that sort of cabal, I hope your DM is someone who appreciates such treachery.
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Secrets are one of the best reasons for an Ascendent account. I was test driving, now I've decided to keep it. Great stuff Micah & Co!

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• mutandiz
    I decided to comment on this feature for _exactly_ the same reason as tjames042 above. It would be nice to have a "player's only" section on a campaign's wiki for plotting about an upcoming adventure. Is there some other (on site) place where it is possible to do this? We're currently resorting to an email string, but it seems to go against the point of this portal in the first place.

If you had the option of including/excluding even the DM, I think this feature would be great.

Thanks for all the work on the site.
  • mutandiz
    ah, also, how does one remove a player secret?
  • ledeir
    ledeir
    I haven't used it yet, but looking at it is amazing!
    The only complaint I have is it shows up below the GM secrets... So I clicked it 3 or 4 times before I realized it was there...
  • Bathlarper
    Bathlarper
    I love the new feature but I can't delete GM+Player fields once they are created. Is that intentional, a bug or WiP?
  • Bathlarper
    Bathlarper
    Another suggestion. In the interests of KISS, could we get rid of the GM Only section and just have an option to not tick any players in the GM+Player field. That would tidy up the interface a little.
  • gryphon410
    gryphon410
    FYI, I LOVE this feature. I have one Player + GM secret which is used soley for letting the characters know how much EXP they've earned and for each session. Sometimes there's bonus EXP that each person earns and instead of handing them a piece of paper at the start of a session or e-mailing them separately, I post it directly to their character. Each player can look at their character page and see the section for EXP earned which is just awesome!

Plus I'll add additional Player Secrets for things that they know ahead of time, sectioning out multiple secrets. One thing I can see happening as this campaign grows is I'll need to put these on their own page rather then all on the same one. So i may utilize Player Secrets for links to the above types of things instead. Not sure yet. But anyway, this is an awesome feature and I look forward to more improvements!
  • TheGTtim
    TheGTtim
    Love it.

Love the site! everyday I use it I learn something new.

This Players Secret...Awesome!
  • Calion
    Calion
    The Player Secrets still say "Note: These player secrets are a new and in-progress feature. They may change significantly in the near future, and they are a litte unstable, so please be patient. We would love some feedback..." so here I am.

First, I absolutely love this feature. As I've already said elsewhere a couple of times, Player Secrets was the deciding factor to move here from "Wizards Groups":http://community.wizards.com/sydarksun and buy a six-month Ascendant membership.

Secondly, I think this feature is pretty much done. It feels good, it works like it should, and it's obvious who can see what. I think it's time to remove the disclaimer I quoted above.

Thirdly...the only thing I would change at this point is to make the "Who can see this secret?" section look just like the "Email notification" section, so the names and checkboxes are in the same place in both sections, just for consistency purposes--we get used to one layout, and it's a little confusing to switch back and forth.
    Post edited by Calion on
  • Calion
    Calion
    I take it back. There's one semi-major thing still wrong with the Player Secret function. When you click "Add Player Secret," nothing happens. Nothing visible anyway; the new player secret is added below the GM Only area, which is expanded by default, and therefore, if you're scrolled down far enough or have a small screen, nothing appears to happen. Putting the new Player Secret above the GM-only area, or putting the "Add Player Secret" link below the GM-only area, would fix this problem. In other words, the new Secret should appear right below the button that creates it, wherever that happens to be.
  • Everdark
    Everdark
    It's nice to see this feature was added in my absence. I know a lot of people were requesting it. Keep up the great work, OP!
  • RedJen
    RedJen
    Suggestion:

Make the person who is authoring the secret auto checked so they are able to make further updates. I wrote a bunch of stuff for my GM, but didn't select myself as being able to see the contents, so I can't go back into that secret section & make corrections.

Overall Opinion of Player Secrets: Nicely done, I expect a few tweaks, but very good initial implementation.
  • Idless
    Idless
    Well I actually have an achievement saying how long I have been requesting and awaiting this feature...

_what? really? you sure?_

ah... Longtimer is for joining OP... oh well, same thing!

Already in planning I am using it heavily, for character creation.

...Troels
  • Calion
    Calion
    +1 to RedJen's notion.

Also, when I open a Player Secret, I expect it to stay open. It closes when I open another one, making it difficult to read one and write another...
  • Calion
    Calion
    Let me add to RedJen's idea: When the GM makes a new Player Secret on a character, that character's player should be selected by default.
  • eugene
    eugene
    Nice feature. Would be good to clarify right in the text that it is visible to the GM. It was my assumption, but didn't get confirmed till I read the top of this thread.
  • chriscrewdson
    chriscrewdson
    Awesome. I love it! Major factor in deciding to go Ascendant.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Love this feature!!! Use it every time I update a character, whether it is experience points, new info... etc... This is a feature that we all, players & gm, use extensively.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt

Just trying to help out.

• MichaelSchroeder
    MichaelSchroeder
    I've noticed that textile formatting doesn't work. I attempted using .p and the paragraph button to insert paragraphs, and in preview it reads as ".p" in the secret. So I attempted to connect to the textile formatting page (linked in the Player Secrets) area. The webpage is dead...

Also, I've tried to update my player secrets several different times and they simply do not work. Is there an expected timeframe for which secrets will load and become visible? One expects this would be immediate, but that has not been my result.

Thanks.
  • Calion
    Calion
    The textile is "p. ", not ".p", so that could be your problem. And I'm not sure what you're talking about with the Textile site being dead. It works fine for me.

I'm also not sure what you mean with Player Secrets not loading properly. Again, I've had no difficulties.
  • MichaelSchroeder
    MichaelSchroeder
    Very odd. When I was attempting to edit my dynamic character sheet and using the paragraph button including in the tools displayed directly above "Extended character information", what was populated was ".p" several different times, across a period of several days. Further, when I clicked the link to http://redcloth.org/hobix.com/textile/, hyperlinked as "textile", it was leading me to a 404, over several days.

So, I'm not insane, I'm generally a forums "poweruser" and was concerned by these errors. Appears to be working as intended now.

As to player secrets, my DM has been able to connect and update, however I am not.
  • Falk
    Falk
    First of all, nice feature, very useful.

I'm with murkatos though, it would be nice to have some (better) visual feedback about what parts are player secrets and what are not. Also, his suggestion about making player secrets a textile tag. That way, you could mix player secrets with "normal" text.

CU
    FLo
  • Fivegears
    Fivegears
    HORRAY!

But, I don't want my players knowing anything, even in secret. Man, they get uppity when they have information.