Need a ruling (3.5E)

Yoshara
Yoshara
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
So I have a ninja wanting "Ring of Telekinesis":http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ring_of_Telekinesis. No special information, just functions as if one cast Telekinesis.

Here is "Telekinesis":http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Telekinesis

My issue with it is anything that has a check like grappling, disarming, etc says...

"...you use your Intelligence modifier (if a wizard) or Charisma modifier (if a sorcerer) in place of your Strength or Dexterity modifier..."

So with this I can see 4 possible solutions, I just don't know which one would be closest to the rules.

1. The stats are based on the caster that casted the spell to make the ring.
2. The character using the ring picks between the two stats, whichever is higher.
3. The character uses the stat based on who made the ring. i.e. if it was a wizard the ninja would use his Int.
4. This item can't be used by anyone other than someone who has this spell in their spell list.

Comments

• DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    I think it would be of the wizard who cast the spell during the making of the ring. But you are the DM so really you can do what you wish with it. Go with whatever best suits your campaign or whatever seems fair to the player.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Yeah, the way the ring is suppose to work is it is exactly like the spell, as created by a 9th level wizard with a 15 intelligence. The reason I say 9th level wizard with 15 intelligence, is because magic item prices always assume the lowest possible caster level and stats for items that are created. If you wanted it to be made at a higher caster level, then you would have to re-figure the price. In answer to your grappling question, it would use the ring's creator's int, which would be +2. The only items that use your stats are staffs, which is why they cost more than wands and can have more powerful spells in them. Only someone that can cast the spell can use them.
  • Yoshara
    Yoshara
    Alright, I like the way you go with it Gaaran. Price dependent on the quality of spell stored inside.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Well, that's just the way it is done in the DMG, not "my" way of doing it. :)
  • Yoshara
    Yoshara
    I still credit you. =P