[Feature Request] Image replacement

gaaran
gaaran
edited October 2010 in Feature Requests
I have a thought for a new feature, but it might not be the easiest to implement. Many of us now are setting up pages with menus and side-bars and all that jazz, and when we get 10s or 100s of pages, doing page updates can be very time consuming and difficult. I was thinking that it would be awesome to add a "replace image" option. Such that, we could upload one new image, and it would replace all instances of a current image on our wiki. With the current set up, of creating a new folder for each new image, to prevent name overlap, I'm not sure how easy this would be to implement, but I do know I'm not the only one that would take heavy advantage of this feature.

Comments

• Curufea
    Curufea
    We can't delete an existing image and upload one with the same name?

Anyhow, this goes along with the idea of CSS and includes and may need regulation. If you want the same menu on every page, one of the programmers will have to create a specific way to include menus. Such as a template that compiles mutliple wiki pages (e.g. my "ASif!":http://www.asif.dreamhosters.com/doku.php?id=start website uses a separate wiki page for the navigation sidebar, and is accessed from every subpage).
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    that's correct, if we upload an image with the same name as an old one, the image url would be, for example ../43245/image.png, and the new one would be ../43567/image.png

and I've been okay with creating the code myself and putting it on each page, but if i later find out that there is something i want to change on an image, I have to edit the image, and then edit over 100 pages, one line of code each.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    OMG yes.

I just had to update soooo many pages of my wiki, the ctrl, c, and v keys on my keyboard just got a restraining order against me.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    yeah... that's what gave me the idea, the overhaul i'm working on. granted, i'm consolidating a lot of stuff, and redesigning everything anyway, but for example, if i want to change the menu around a little, i don't want to have to update every page, you know? :)
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Yeah. Whose idea was this wave of site updates, anyway?

:P
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    I don't remember, but it's definitely paying off, your's and my site's look way better at least :)
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Nah, I'm thinking of re-doing it Gnomes Rule-style, now.
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    Hmm, might be best not to store images here then - use an offsite location.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    well, i don't have my own space, and flickr and places have the same issue. it works for now, but that's why we can request features, to make things easier to use. it's just a request, if it won't work, it won't work.
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    Persistent identifiers is what we need for images!

On a side note, you'd need a website rather than an image storage site - are there any free ones available anymore?